Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Computer Freezing after Login...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Overman

Tom Overman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

Recently I have experienced some problems with my Acer Aspire One running Windows XP Home Edition. Right after I login, the computer freezes and stops at the welcome screen right after login. It does the same on safe mode so there is no way I can actually get into my account. Does anybody know what the problem is and how I might be able to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tom Overman

Tom Overman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

I can't check if it's a hard drive problem as well because I can't get into safe mode with command prompt to chkdsk to see if there is any problems.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

You could remove the hard drive...attach it to a different system as a secondary drive...and run chkdsk /r from that system.

FWIW:  Chkdsk /r checks the file system, not the hard drive.  It  checks the hard drive only as far it might relate to file system problems.  To check the functional status of the hard drive...you need to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic.  The main hard drive manufacturers (Seagate and Western Digital) provide diagnostics for their drives at their respective websites.

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Manual - http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/other/2779-701022.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Seagate and Samsung Drives - http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=seatooldreg&vgnextoid=480bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Louis

#4 Tom Overman

Tom Overman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

Ok so should I actually check my hard drive or just reimage my computer because I don't have many files on there I need to keep anyway? Thanks for your help! Sorry I'm still an amateur with computers!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Well...the way that I approach it is...I would try to run chkdsk /r on the drive first, since anything that prevents chkdsk /r from completing...will probably also negate any effort to image the drive contents.

If the chkdsk /r completes successfully, then I would image the drive...then run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic on it before considering using it for anythin.

If the chkdsk /r does not complete successfully, I would post the appropriate error message received...in your next post.

Louis

#6 Tom Overman

Tom Overman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

Ok thank you very much. Now I need to find another computer to check the disk on because I only have Apple products as my other computers. When I check the disk I will get back to you! Thank you so much for your time!

#7 Tom Overman

Tom Overman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

How do I put my harddrive as an external harddrive on someone else's computer?

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

Hi, There is no need to remove the drive, If You use the Link Louis provided for the Seatools for DOS. You create a Bootable CD that you put in the CD (DVD) drive. Then When The Acerl logo appears on the screen you start pressing F12 to bring up the Menu of startup devices. You can select the optical drive at that point and boot from it and run the diagnostic. If it isn't F12 it should say on the screen.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 13 April 2013 - 11:17 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 Tom Overman

Tom Overman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

Oh ok thank you so much for explaining!

#10 Tom Overman

Tom Overman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

The only problem is that a have a netbook and not a laptop, so would I have to do that with a USB drive?

Edited by hamluis, 13 April 2013 - 04:51 PM.
Removed subscript accidentally enabled by OP - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users