Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printers are being added without anyone installing them

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

I installed 3 printers onto a machine that's used by only a single person. After so long, or on a reboot -- I haven't been able to isolate WHEN it happens, because I only get called after someone notices it -- they have new printers magically installed with similar names in addition to the 3 I originally installed. The user also can't set their default printer, and it's usually locked to one of the new "magic" printers.

Removing the magic printers resolves the issue temporarily, but I can't seem to make the fix stick.

Any suggestions? I'm having trouble with google giving me anything but instructions on how to install printers, as opposed to printers that are installing themselves...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

Well...either someone is installing them...or there's a problem with the printer software.

How are these printers accessed/connected?

Exactly what procedures are you taking...to remove these hardware items?

Who has the capability to install new hardware?

Are these "phantom" printers...within the local environment of the area where the systems are?

If someone tries to install the drivers for a printer...that's already installed...the result can be a duplicate listing, with the new drivers typically causing the default to change, IME.

Louis

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

The printers are network printers. They are originally installed via the Printers and Devices section, using the basic "right-click, select 'add printer'" method of isntallation. I select the port I want to use (an ip address on the network) and then select the drivers from folders where I've copied the software to our network.

The procedure to remove them is almost the same. Right-click the device and "remove printer."

The printers are in the samy physical location, but are networked and not local nor specific to the machine that's having the problem. No one else is attempting to install the printer drivers to the machine, so there isn't a user unintentionally duplicating the device.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

How many systems in this network?

Is there only 1 system with this peculiarity?

If so...have you looked at the Event Viewer logs for indications of a problem?

Louis

#5 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

There are more than 100 systems on the network. This is the only system that has shown this issue, out of the 4-5 that use the device and have it installed.

I have not checked the event viewer logs. I will attempt to connect to the computer and review or download them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users