Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chat rooms, beginner/learning, safest to use

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 How Does It Work

How Does It Work

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

Hi, I am overwhelmed trying to learn about the safest ways of online instant communication.

I am interested in two things:

1) The safest method(s) of instant communication with one person, such as the safest IM
2) The safest method(s) of instant communication with several people, such as the safest chat room or whatever else a person would use

I've seen that a lot of experienced people use things like IRC, GitHUb and such, but it is a lot of information to learn quickly for someone with no programming, networking or security background.

I'm willing to do the work.  I enjoy learning very much.  I just don't know where to start. 

I want to make sure I know what I'm doing so I don't end up with a bleeping computer lol.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

IMs are still out there but they aren't as popular as they once were. I still have Yahoo Messenger but I rarely use it. They are being made obsolete by Twitter, Facebook and Google+ not to mention texting. I'm a big Twitter user but not the other three. So I wouldn't recommend the services you are asking about because they are outdated.

Edited by frankp316, 04 April 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#3 How Does It Work

How Does It Work
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

I hear you, frankp316.  It's just that sites like Facebook have serious privacy issues.  Twitter has a limit to how many characters you can type.  Facebook and Google both do data mining of users.

I'm looking for something where I don't have to give any personal information.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:40 AM

Anyone who thinks he can remain anonymous on the internet is kidding himself.

Edited by frankp316, 05 April 2013 - 04:40 AM.

#5 How Does It Work

How Does It Work
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:05 AM

I'm not trying to argue for complete anonymity.  I agree that there is no such thing as that.  I'm just saying there is a difference between being able to create a username vs. having to supply one's full name, telephone number, etc. like we have to in order to sign up for some of the sites you mentioned.  I think it's dangerous for certain vulnerable people such as children who should be able to hide their age, gender, pics, address, name, etc. from predators.  Most  people who want privacy are trying to protect themselves from being harmed by others.  Of course, if someone wants your information there are steps they can take to get it, but why make it easy for them?

I don't think there is one way that is "safe."  I'm just looking for the "safest."  Something with more layers of protection than others.  And I'm willing to learn as much as I have to, in order to increase that protection.   

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

And there are also those who want to remain anonymous for nefarious reasons. Look, there are two sides to everything. There are plenty of bad people hanging around IMs and ICQs looking to prey on people. And because those things are like the wild west, it's easier for them to do that. So the safety you are talking about is an illusion. it's not really safer. And it may be more dangerous because users mistakenly perceive these kind of services as safer when they aren't. That's the reason they declined in popularity. Better services like Twitter came along and proved to be safer than IMs. Spammers get banned on Twitter but they run free on IMs. IMs were popular ten years ago. They're not worth anyone's time anymore. They are virtually obsolete.

#7 How Does It Work

How Does It Work
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

Okay, so my situation is I am playing an MMO that does not have a chat feature in game.   We need to be able to communicate instantaneously to coordinate our timing for battles.  Multiple players chatting simultaneously.  What would you suggest for us?

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

That's a lot different than what you were talking about. I'm not a gamer so I can't help you. I'm sure if you did a search for what you are looking for, you would find something. Google is your friend.

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

You could use Raidcall (primarily for gaming voice chat). It's clunky, but it serves the purpose.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

Take a look at: http://www.ventrilo.com/index.php

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 Sanddancer55

Sanddancer55

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

Or you could use Skype, http://www.skype.com/en/ as long as you've both got it installed you can have it run in the background, I use it all the time when I play poker with my mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users