Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

*** LIMITED CONNECTIVITY = (NO CONNECTIVITY) ***

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 13Z50P

13Z50P

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

I tried unsucessfully to post this (see below) in the "Internet and Networking" Forum. I've had 142 "views" but no replies. I hope this Forum can help me.

Greetings,

My HPDV7TQE laptop running windows 7 keeps dropping the wireless internet connection. I have other wireless devices connected that don't have this problem. Sometimes using the right-click troubleshoot problems option restores the connection. Sometimes rebooting the wireless-N router (Verizon) restores the connection. I tried going to a LAN connection, with 50-50 results. Everything is up-to-date of course. Malwarebytes - clean; AVG - clean; Advance System Care - clean. No recent installs or system changes. I recall having this same issue a year ago, and for no rational reason, it persisted for a few weeks then disappeared until now that is. I've tried system restore, turning off AVG et. al. and nothing works. My current connection is very intermittent. Usually when I do connect successfully, it lasts a few hours then drops. Please help me repair this problem.

Thanks in advance,

J.M.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TGIMike

TGIMike

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

So you are using a wireless connection correct?

Edited by TGIMike, 23 August 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

According to HP's specs for your laptop, it uses an Intel WiFi Link 5100AGN card. 

http://www.intel.com/products/wireless/adapters/5000/

Given that you say that everything else on your network is connecting flawlessly, and that you had this problem for a period about a year ago, then I would be inclined to look at the mounting of this card. Intel's web-site shows it is a discrete plug-in module, not an integral part of the mother board. Like most tech types, I hate intermittent faults !

I haven't examined manuals to see how and where it fits, but I suggest it is worth your while to see if it has come loose or if the mounting contacts need cleaning. Intel's image is a touch on the small side, but suggests there are two mounting screws. If either or both of these has come slack it could well cause your problem.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users