Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defrag Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FotoGurl

FotoGurl

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:36 AM

What exactly does it do? I have priceless pictures on my comp that I dont want to lose... will it delete them?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:45 AM

Defragging your computer rearranges files so that related ones are more contiguous, making for faster finding of them by your hard drive arm. No files are deleted.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:46 AM

Defragmentation is a vital part of Windows upkeep. As you add and remove files, the new ones tend to try to take up space where old files were removed. Eventually, bits and pieces of files get scattered all over the drive, and the drive has to work itself to death to find them. Eventually, the drive will stop working.

Regular defragmentation of files is a necessary thing to do.

That said, if you have any files that you do not want to lose, it is imperative that you find a way to back them up somewhere off the drive. There are two kinds of hard drives: those that have failed, and those that will fail.

And the filesystem in 95/98*Grinler is not as stable as that of 2000/XP. It is easy for a memory error or something to cause files to be lost. You should back your important files up to a CD or another drive or somewhere else if you don't want to lose them.

Defragmentation of the drive is something I do regularly, and have for at least fifteen years. To date, I have never lost files because of it (that I know of). Depending on your usage, you might defrag your system once a month or once every two months. If you regularly remove large blocks of files and replace them with something else, you might defrag even more frequently.

#4 FotoGurl

FotoGurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:37 PM

I cant save anything to floppy disks or cds. I dont know why... I can install things with cds and play cds, just cant save. My boyfriend's aunt bought a cd thing that plugged into the comp with an usb cable [I think that's the word] and then you could save things onto cd rom's. Anyway, he borrowed it for me a while back and I installed it, but it wouldnt work either.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:49 PM

Is a "CD thing" an external hard drive, or a CD burner?
Does it show up as a new drive when you click on "My Computer?"
Do you have some kind of CD burning software installed on your own computer?
Our members are pretty clever fixing problems like this, and a little more information would help us understand the exact problem you are having. Until then, at least you can defrag your computer with some assurance you will not have any file disappear. You might want to defrag in Safe Mode, especially if you have not done it for a long time, since this will make the process go faster. You should also have a decent amount of unused space on your hard drive before defragging.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:16 AM

Defragmentation of the drive is something I do regularly

Same here! I also suggest everyone to keep the drives clean with regular disk clean ups and defrags. It will help keep the system performance smooth and fast.
As john said, if ur using the built in i think it needs abt 15% free space for a decent improvement through defrag. Actually its a good practice to run chkdsk bfore the defrag as well.

Here's a link from MS u cud check out-
http://www.microsoft.com/AtWork/getstarted/speed.mspx/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users