Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External drive became raw/getting message Cluster 2, Directory / found?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dana987

Dana987

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

My external hard drive suddenly became raw after a power outage.  The computer the external hardrive is normally attached to is an hp pavillion dv5000 laptop operating on windows xp.

I am using a toshiba satellite laptop operating on windows xp to try and repair it.  I first tried to copy an image per James Litten's site instructions and am unable to.  I proceeded to using the TestDisk tool on PartedMagic Linux boot CD to repair it.  I have been following the instructions from James Litten's site.  Posted below:

http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/#comment-7473

I have followed his instructions exactly.  Everything was identical to his instructions until I got to the quick search.  When I did the the quick search nothing came up under partitions. His instructions showed that something would.  I then continued to the deeper search and there was then one partition listed. I did see my files/folders from the external hard drive within that partition. I chose write. The boot sector was also bad, so I chose rebuild bs - per his instructions. It’s at this point where my screen is different from his instructions. Instead of asking to confirm writing to the partition table, it goes to a screen that lists the partition, then it says

Cluster 2, Directory / found?

Answer Y(es), N(o), Q(uit or A(bort interactive mode), N or A if not sure.

Below that is listed 3 options I can highlight with my arrow keys.

drwxr-xr-x 0 0 0 6-Mar2013 00:22 Recycled

drwxr-xr-x 0 0 0 22-Feb-2012 19:27 My Documents

drwxr-xr-x 0 0 0 12-Jan-2013 12:02 My Music

I do not know which line to select and I also do not know what answer to choose?  This is what I need guidance with.  I would like to be able to get the files from My Documents and My Music.  I'm not too concerned about the Recycled...other than it would be nice to be able to see it again while using the external drive.

As far as I know, I am not in 'expert mode'.

I deeply appreciate any guidance one can give.  Thank you very much for all your time and efforts,

Dana

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

Hi Dana

I've been away for awhile. If you still have this issue, I would need to see the content of the testdisk.log file to advise you on what to try next. That looks more like what you would see when you select REPAIR FAT as opposed to REBUILD BS but I have been wrong before. :)

More info is here...

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Advanced_FAT_Repair

James

#3 Dana987

Dana987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

Hi James,

Thank you very much for responding. :bananas:  I also have been out of town and haven't been able to work on this issue.  I do have this issue still.  I also received a response from Fiona on cpsecurity.  I hope to be able to look at what you both sent me and give these potential solutions a go within the next couple of days.

Thank you again for your time.  The amount of time you all give freely is astounding!  I will be in touch soon.

Dana

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Fiona at CGSecurity is the person that I go to when I have questions :)

We'll see what she says.

James

#5 Dana987

Dana987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

Oh, that's wonderful!  Thank you James!  I think tomorrow afternoon is going to be the day I get to tackle this.  Thank you so very much! :grinner:

Dana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users