Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access Denied Issues in UBCD4WIN

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum, so please forgive me if I'm not. :)

I have booted into the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (latest build) and the PE cannot find my hard drive. There are a bunch of question marks in Device Manager including IDE Controller, RAID Controller, and many Unknown Devices.

I realized that I have a SATA RAID controller to control my HD (yes, this is a Dell computer), so I installed the drivers on a floppy disk and then decided that I would go into Device Manager, right click on "Raid Controller" and select Update Driver to load it.  I figured, this should install the driver and allow me to access my hard drive.

Problem is, I get an error saying that the Hardware did not install....Access is denied.

Now, in the UBCD4WIN environment, aren't I supposed to have Admin rights?  In the command prompt I tried:

control userpasswords2 and got the pop up box showing the users.  The administrator is the only account listed and he has unlimited rights.  So what's going on here? :scratchhead:

I need to access my HD, but I can't since the RE cannot see it.  Cannot load the driver as access is denied.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch. :hello:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

Hi

It looks like UBCD4WIN misses your SATA controller driver. Make sure "BTS Mass Storage" plugin is selected when you build UBCD4WIN. If it is already enabled disable the plugin and manually add latest DPS Masstorage pack yourself. Here is a how to guide http://users.telenet.be/jtdoom/basetute/BartPE/OverFlow/DPs_BartPE_HelpFile.htm

If you still can't access your HDD you may need a PE3 disc (Win7 based). You should have a Win7 installed machine to build that.

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.  I also came across this which seems a lot simpler.

But I have a few more questions:

a) I got the SATA RAID driver from the Intel site (the zip file for floppy disk install).  It is for an ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller.  However, it contains several drivers for various controllers including the one I need.  Should I modify the TXTSETUP.OEM file to remove the references I don't need so as not to confuse the PEBuilder?

B) Why can't I just load the driver within the UBCD4WIN environment by right clicking the device in Device Manager, selection Update driver and use the "Have Disk" option?  It gives me an access denied error.

c) When I boot up to the UBCD4WIN, I get a bar and then "Hit F6 to load driver..." message.  Would I be able to load my driver there?

So in short, what is the best way to get around this issue:

1) Modify the ISO to include my driver?

2) Hit F6 during the PE boot?

3) Use Device manager within the UBCD4WIN?

Thanks again, folks.

All the driver files I have

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:39 AM

Hi

BartPE and UBCD4WIN are not full windows. They are heavily stripped down and lacks lot of functions. That is why you can't load storage driver on the fly.

Yes you can load driver by using "f6" by using a floppy disk. Make sure to download the correct F6 floppy driver from intel site.

Best way to include masstorage support is to integrate it during the build time. Modifying TXTSETUP manually is difficult. You can easily do it by using Dps Base integrator by following my link.

Intel ICH7R is an old chipset and UBCD4WIN stock "BTS Masstorage" drivers should support that. Make sure you enabled that plugin when you build your CD .Also check in you for BIOS for option to switch SATA mode to "IDE". If that option is present you don't need any additional drivers.

#5 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

Well, I have some Good News! :santa:

After pulling my hair out trying to get this darned thing to find my hard drive, I finally got it going....and it was against the grain of the advice above.

For anyone googling a similar problem and getting to this forum, I'll post my solution here:

Since I had a Dell computer which uses a lot of proprietary hardware, many of the drivers are not included natively on the Windows XP SP2 CD.  This computer was manufactured in late 2005 which was after SP2 came out and my SATA controller driver was not included on my XP CD.

Now, I was using an unbranded OEM CD (not a Dell one).  Windows CD's from Dell are an even bigger PITA since you will get an error when building your BartPE ISO with it (there is a posted fix in the BartPE formums, but it's a rather involved process).  So, I stuck with the holographic SP2 disc.

First, I followed the advice from Anshad (Post #2), and built the ISO and burned it.  When I tried to boot from it, immediately after the XP logo scrolled across the screen, I got a BSOD for 0x7E.  Great!  There's my 2nd coaster burned...into the garbage.  :flame:

So then, I went to the simplier method from Post #3 and used the link there.  Downloaded the driver for the floppy boot, extracted to a new folder under

drivers\SCSIAdapter, edited the TXTSETUP.OEM file and re-built.  Burned the project...again, no hard drive could be found.  3rd CD in the garbage...

It turns out, post #3 IS the correct way to go, but I missed a very important step.....DISABLE the BTS Mass Storage plugin.  It is enabled by default when you run the UBCD4WIN program.  Once I disabled it, and had the correct SATA/RAID driver where it should be, I was able to burn my CD and after testing it, I could see all 3 partitions on my hard drive.  Yipee!! :thumbsup2:

If you kept the BTS mass storage enabled, it would not work as they would be loaded first and the proper one would either get ignored, or would conflict. Also, I guess I'm one of the few that didn't have the required driver in the Mass Storage file....thanks, Dell!  If you need to add your own driver, be sure to disable any default ones before creating the ISO.

Happy computing. :busy:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

Feedback much appreciated, congrats on resolving the situation :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users