Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE10 address bar/back button not working

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 scpanther

scpanther

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

Posted in "Am I Infected" and apparently I'm not. (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489667/ie10-address-barback-button-not-working/)

If I type an address in the address bar and press Enter or click go, nothing happens.  Clicking links does work, however.

Backspace does not take you to the last page, nor does clicking the back arrow.

In addition to some malware checks, I have run System File Checker and disabled IE, downloaded and installed it afresh.

Any help would be appreciated.  Chrome works fine, but my wife prefers IE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

Please try using IE9. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Removing Internet Explorer 10 from Windows 7:

1. Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then select View installed updates in the left pane.
  2. Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.
    • Right-click Internet Explorer 10, click Uninstall, and when prompted, click Yes.
  3. Click one of the following:
    • Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 10 and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).
    • Restart later

Tekken

#3 scpanther

scpanther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for your assistance, jhayz.

I have done as you recommended and browsing seems to be working normally in IE9.  Address bar, back button, etc. are all working.

Do we just avoid upgrading to 10 or does this point us to some further troubleshooting?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

Try reinstalling or by using the Windows update for IE 10 and install any pertinent pending updates.

Tekken

#5 scpanther

scpanther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

jhayz, I want to apologize for disappearing for so long.  I'm astounded my topic wasn't locked.

I upgraded back to IE 10 and the same problems resumed as before.  I have seen no pertinent updates.

#6 mr.meyer

mr.meyer

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

I had same problem with IE10, went back to IE9, no problems. Perhaps ie10 was made for win8 and just doesen't run well on win7. Hmmmm, microsoft..........

#7 scpanther

scpanther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

I had same problem with IE10, went back to IE9, no problems. Perhaps ie10 was made for win8 and just doesen't run well on win7. Hmmmm, microsoft..........

Yeah, sticking with 9 could be the simplest solution.  I started off thinking that the issues might indicate infection, then came to this thread just thinking the system isn't working like it ought.  If IE 10 is the only thing affected, however, I daresay my wife can live with its predecessor.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

A lot of reasons and mystery why IE10 would not work but try clearing your cache files or boot to safemode in networking and see if the problem is still present. Just one of the many posts that have IE browser complains.

Tekken

#9 pimkins

pimkins

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

i have been dealing with this issue since ie10 has come out.   try re-setting IE 10 properties back to default.

open ie -> tools -> internet properties

once internet properties opens go to the advanced tab at the top.  click on reset near the bottom.  do the check mark for delete personal settings and click on reset again. 

now close ie and open it back up...see if it works now.

hope this helps someone.

#10 scpanther

scpanther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

i have been dealing with this issue since ie10 has come out.   try re-setting IE 10 properties back to default.

open ie -> tools -> internet properties

once internet properties opens go to the advanced tab at the top.  click on reset near the bottom.  do the check mark for delete personal settings and click on reset again. 

now close ie and open it back up...see if it works now.

hope this helps someone.

pimkins, that did the trick.  I had to do it twice, as one of the reset steps failed the first time, but IE 10 is now back in working order.  It seems my uninstalls weren't terribly thorough, as I would expect it would be in its default state if it were completely removed and reinstalled afresh.

Thanks to all for their assistance.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

Nice suggestion pimkins :thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users