Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell E521 cycles start/shut down at startup

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 chevelle67

chevelle67

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

I have a 2007 Dell E521 that came with Vista and I loaded 8 ontop of it 3 months ago. It has done well for 3 months but yest it froze. Then it wouldn't start. Thinking it was a bug I wiped the WD cav Black 500 HD to zeros so I could start fresh and it tested OK with WDs scan. I formatted it with 1 partition/2 drives. First 8 won't load on its own as a clean load. I checked the RAM and all work, 4GB. I unloaded all peripherals including wireless mouse and keyboard, add on video, and add on internet adapter. Now I am able to get Vista to load, but very slowly and the computer cycles off and on as I try to access Windows and it sounds like the CD/DVD doesn't spool up like it should. The numeric green lights on the front light up in a variable fashon so I am not able to get a code to work with. The computer makes alot of random sounds. Can someone help me untangle this problem or is this a slow death?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

First guess...would be failing PSU, not motherboard...if it were mine.

What are "random sounds"?  A system only has so many moving parts...fans, optical drive, hard drives...nothing else that I'm aware of.  Should be fairly easy to pinpoint where sounds come from, if only by disconnecting /reconnecting drives.

I would also check the system for possible overheating...excessive heat can result in weird system behavior.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Was this an upgrade to Windows 8 or a fresh installation?

Did you install the drivers after the installation of the operating system?

You should start with the chipset drivers first.

As for the noise, there is an old mechanics trick that works well for locating where noises are coming from using the principal of sound transmitting through a solid object.  Take a long handled wooden or plastic spoon and place the handle end on the case of the computer, then place your ear to the spoon end and you will hear the noise.  Move the spoon around to different hardware, hdd, optical drive, PSU, fans, etc., till you locate the sound.

Edited by dc3, 05 April 2013 - 11:51 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

I disconnected both DVDs and the problem continues but most of the noise is gone. The noise was probably the DVDs activating repeatidly with all of the start ups. I don't have a spare power source to see if it is involved. The problem rarely occurs with restart but predictably occurs with shut down. It then restarts itself and cycles. Usually it goes to the Dell page and stops, then startsup to Dell, then stops, etc... How can I further isolate this problem or do I buy a new power source? Chevelle67.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

Please answer the questions in my last post.  If you don't answer these or other questions people here will not be able to help you.

Do you have a multimeter with a DC voltage scale?  Or can you borrow one?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

Vista was a fresh install and 8 was added on top of it. Chip set was the first installed after the OS was installed. Yes I have a DC Volt meter analog and digital. Chevelle67

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

Use the following tutorial to check the rail voltages and post the +12V, +5, and the +3.3V rails.

Reading Desktop ATX Form Factor PSU Rail Voltages

Caution: Please read this before continuing.

·    Since it will be necessary for your computer to be on during this procedure, you need to be aware that you will be working with live 12Volt DC potentials, which if handled improperly may lead to electrical shock.

·    There are electronics inside the case that are very susceptible to electrostatic discharges. To protect your computer, touch the metal of the case to discharge yourself of any electrostatic charges before touching any of the components inside.

·    If you are not comfortable doing this procedure, then I would suggest that you not use this tutorial. The risks involved are minimal, but are there nevertheless. Anyone who uses this tutorial will be doing so at their own risk.

There are two devices commonly used to read the rail voltages: a PSU tester, and a multimeter.

The PSU tester is the easiest to use since all that is necessary is to plug the different connectors into the tester and read the results on the LCD display. The problem with most of these is that they only perform a pass/fail test.  They will not provide you with actual voltage readings.

There are a variety of multiple meters, but this tutorial will address Analog and Digital multimeters. The advantage of these meters is that you will be able to obtain accurate real time voltage readings.

For those of you who wish to know more about multimeters there is an excellent article in Wikipedia.

Analog Multimeter

th_analogedited.jpg

An Analog multimeter is a little more complicated to use. Both Analog and Digital multimeters need to be set to the appropriate voltage, but with an Analog multimeter, you will need to choose the voltage range and must read the proper scale.

The Analog multimeter uses a needle display which moves from 0 across the scale until it reaches the voltage being tested. This multimeter has five major linear divisions with multiple scales to read a variety of ranges. An example would be three different ranges. The first is graduated in increments of 0 through 5, the second, 0 through 10, and the third, 0 through 25. Each of these ranges are subdivided into divisions that are graduated into tenths. In order to read 12 volts the 0 through 25 range would be the appropriate one.

Because DC voltage has positive and negative potentials this device is polar sensitive, this means that if you reverse the two probes when reading a positive DC voltage it will read as a negative voltage. This is actually necessary to read negative DC voltages. The two probes are differentiated by their color, Black (negative), and Red (positive). To read a positive DC voltage, the correct probes must be used with their corresponding potentials (positive to positive and negative to negative).

With the probes being used normally to read a negative DC voltage, the needle moves from the 0 to the left, "pegging" the needle. By reversing the probes you can properly read the negative voltages.

Digital Multimeter

th_digitalmeteredited.jpg

The Digital multimeter (DMM) is much simpler to use. As was mentioned previously, you will need to set the appropriate voltage. One of the advantages is that the DMM has an LCD display with a numeric readout, so there are not any multiple scales to read. Another advantage is that most DMMs are autoranging when reading voltages, which means that you will not need to set the range with these DMMs. A DMM will read both positive and negative DC voltages and display them correctly. When reading a negative voltage, a minus sign will appear on the display before the numeric value. This still is a polar sensitive device, so you will still need to use the positive and negative probes with their corresponding potentials.

There are five different DC rail voltages which are color coded. The Black wires are always negative.

Yellow +12VDC

Blue -12VDC

Red +5VDC

White -5VDC

Orange +3.3VDC

There are only three voltages that can be measured easily without disconnecting the 20/24 pin connector from the motherboard: +12V, +5V, and +3.3V.

The +12V and +5V voltages can be read from a four pin Molex power connector.

Four pin Molex power connector

th_250px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

The same voltages can be taken from a four pin SATA power connector, but in order to read the +3.3V you will need to read this from a five pin SATA power connector as seen below.

Five pin SATA power connector.

th_sata-power-cable.jpg

To read these voltages you will need to insert the Black (-) probe into any of the black  sockets, and insert the Red (+) probe in the different colored voltage sockets.   To read the voltages from a SATA power connector it is easiest to insert the probes into the bac k of the connector where the wires enter.  Unfortunately the sockets of the modular SATA power connectors are not accessible from the back, so the readings will need to be made from the socket side.  Some probes are going to be too large to fit in these sockets, so you may need to insert a piece of wire into the socket of which you want to read the voltage of and place the probe on this for your reading.  To reduce the potential of creating a short I would suggest taking the ground potential from another connector so that the two wires will remain physically separated.

Caution:  It is very important to make sure that you don't allow the two probes to touch each other when taking the voltage readings.  This will cause a short which could damage the PSU or other components.

To get accurate readings of the rail voltages it is important that there be a load on the PSU. In order to do this I would suggest downloading Prime95 for this purpose. This program was designed to be used by overclockers to put a full load on the RAM and CPU to determine the stability of their overclocking.  Because of this it will put stress on the CPU and RAM which will create higher than normal temperatures.  For this reason I would suggest not running this program any longer than is necessary.  I would also suggest that an inspection be made of the interior of the case to make sure that there isn’t an accumulation of dust which would impede adequate cooling.  Pay special attention to the heat sink and fan assembly on the CPU.  If there is a dedicated graphics card with a fan installed on it, look at this fan as well.      

Readings should not have variances larger than +/- five percent.  

Maximum.........Minimum
12.6V.................11.4V
5.25V.................4.75V
3.47V.................3.14V

#8 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

Wire tested was a SATA wire with white/black/red/black/orange. white=12.1, red=5.2, orange=3.3. I tried to use Prime95 and it seemed to work because it showed a display and then stated Stopped when I stopped it. Hope I did it right. One thing I remember is that when I first discovered it had a problem it sounded like a fan was working very hard. Could it have overheated and that is causing the eradic behavior? chevelle67

#9 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

Bump

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

It would appear that the PSU isn't your problem.

Let me see if I have this right.  You successfully installed Vista, installed the drivers, and now it won't completely load and restarts?

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

A desktop computer five years old could have accumulated enough dust to cause overheating, but a computer which is overheating usually will shut down and won't restart until the temperature returns to acceptable levels.  From what you posted it sounds like yours is restarting repeatedly.

There are two things which we can test to see if there are problems, the hdd and RAM.  Most hdd manufacturers have a downloadable diagnostic tool which can be burned to a CD that the computer can be booted from.  You will need to look in the case to find out who the manufacturer of yours is.  Please include this in your next post.

To test the RAM you need to download Memtest86, this too will involve making a bootalbe CD.

***** A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:
8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:
10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

main_menu.jpg

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

testarea_cu.jpg

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

#11 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

I will do the above. To recap. I found the computer one day with a fan working overtime and fluctuating thru start/stop. I shut the computer down. I restarted it after a small delay. It started and started doing some diagnostics, never finished and shut down. I then restarted it and it cycled thru start/stop. I was concerned it was a bad bug and if you look into my profile you will see I have had rootkits. I have a backup so I decided to wipe the Harddrive to zeros with WD software. I tested the Harddrive with the software and it said the Harddrive was OK. I then attempted to reload Vista and it would sporadically boot to the Disk but then blue screen and start to cycle. I removed any peripherals, videocard, internet adapter and wireless mouse and keyboard. Still had the problem with difficulty booting to the disk and having it load to completion. I removed the RAM and loaded 1 stick at a time and no particular stick made a difference. Eventually the Vista load made it to completion and I have been able to do a complete load with internet access by ethernet wire with all updates. I have been able to run the Windows RAM check and it found no errors. I can get into safe mode. When I have tried F12 to try to use bootable diagnostics it can not find the partition so it doesn't run. I clean my computer about every 6 months. Chevelle67

#12 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

I tried many times but I could not get the above to work out for me. Unless there are any other suggestions, I will be either buying a new computer or, if you think it is worth the gamble, a new MOBO, processer and RAM. This depends on the probability that the problem is the MOBO. What do you think? Chevelle67

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

#14 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

Ran by Morrison (administrator) on 21-04-2013 at 23:56:21
Running from "C:\Users\Morrison\Downloads"
Windows Vista ™ Home Premium Service Pack 2 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (04/06/2013 02:45:23 PM) (Source: EventSystem) (User: )
Description: d:\longhorn\com\complus\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp458007043c

Error: (04/06/2013 03:00:28 AM) (Source: MsiInstaller) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 -- Error 1712.One or more of the files required to restore your computer to its previous state could not be found.  Restoration will not be possible.

Error: (04/06/2013 03:00:26 AM) (Source: MsiInstaller) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 -- Error 1704.An installation for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile is currently suspended.  You must undo the changes made by that installation to continue.  Do you want to undo those changes?

Error: (04/06/2013 01:54:27 AM) (Source: MsiInstaller) (User: Morrison-PC)
Description: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 -- Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC90.CRT,version="9.0.21022.8",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80070BC9. assembly interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, component: {B708EB72-AA82-3EB7-8BB0-D845BA35C93D}

Error: (04/04/2003 06:24:51 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )
Description: http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cabA required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Description: http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cabA required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

System errors:
=============
Error: (04/14/2013 09:54:49 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: cdrom

Error: (04/10/2013 09:38:33 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )

Error: (04/10/2013 08:52:20 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )

Error: (04/06/2013 05:53:29 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )

Error: (04/06/2013 05:48:33 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )

Error: (04/06/2013 05:40:57 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )

Error: (04/06/2013 05:36:19 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )

Error: (04/06/2013 04:52:14 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: Windows Search%%1053

Error: (04/06/2013 04:52:14 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: 30000Windows Search

Error: (04/06/2013 04:52:14 PM) (Source: DCOM) (User: )
Description: 1053WSearch{7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (04/06/2013 02:45:23 PM) (Source: EventSystem)(User: )
Description: d:\longhorn\com\complus\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp458007043c

Error: (04/06/2013 03:00:28 AM) (Source: MsiInstaller)(User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 -- Error 1712.One or more of the files required to restore your computer to its previous state could not be found.  Restoration will not be possible.(NULL)(NULL)(NULL)(NULL)

Error: (04/06/2013 03:00:26 AM) (Source: MsiInstaller)(User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 -- Error 1704.An installation for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile is currently suspended.  You must undo the changes made by that installation to continue.  Do you want to undo those changes?(NULL)(NULL)(NULL)(NULL)

Error: (04/06/2013 01:54:27 AM) (Source: MsiInstaller)(User: Morrison-PC)
Description: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 -- Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC90.CRT,version="9.0.21022.8",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80070BC9. assembly interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, component: {B708EB72-AA82-3EB7-8BB0-D845BA35C93D}(NULL)(NULL)(NULL)(NULL)

Error: (04/04/2003 06:24:51 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

CodeIntegrity Errors:
===================================
  Date: 2003-04-04 04:16:08.544
  Description: Code Integrity is unable to verify the image integrity of the file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\drivers\tcpip.sys because the set of per-page image hashes could not be found on the system.

Date: 2003-04-04 04:16:08.529
  Description: Code Integrity is unable to verify the image integrity of the file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\drivers\tcpip.sys because the set of per-page image hashes could not be found on the system.

Date: 2003-04-04 04:16:08.513

Date: 2003-04-04 04:16:08.513

Date: 2003-04-04 04:16:08.498

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

7-Zip 4.65
Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX (Version: 11.6.602.180)
Adobe Reader X (10.1.4) (Version: 10.1.4)
Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller (Version: 10.04.01)
Broadcom Management Programs (Version: 10.15.03)
CCleaner (Version: 4.00)
Dell Support Center (Support Software) (Version: 2.2.08100)
DownloadTerms (Version: 1.0)
Free Easy Burner V 5.1 (Version: 5.1.0.0)
Google Chrome (Version: 26.0.1410.64)
Google Update Helper (Version: 1.3.21.135)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (Version: 3.5.30729)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (Version: 4.0.30319)
NVIDIA Control Panel 307.83 (Version: 307.83)
NVIDIA Graphics Driver 307.83 (Version: 307.83)
NVIDIA Install Application (Version: 2.1002.109.706)
NVIDIA Update 1.10.8 (Version: 1.10.8)
NVIDIA Update Components (Version: 1.10.8)
SigmaTel Audio (Version: 5.10.5102.0)
TidyNetwork.com
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB963707) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2468871) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2533523) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2600217) (Version: 1)
Wondershare DVD Creator(Build 2.6.5)
Yontoo 2.051 (Version: 2.051)

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 80%
Total physical RAM: 957.76 MB
Available physical RAM: 188.43 MB
Total Pagefile: 2180.11 MB
Available Pagefile: 852.91 MB
Total Virtual: 2047.88 MB
Available Virtual: 1954.94 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: (New Volume) (Fixed) (Total:97.66 GB) (Free:66.05 GB) NTFS
2 Drive d: (New Volume) (Fixed) (Total:368.1 GB) (Free:367.75 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\MORRISON-PC

Administrator            Guest                    Morrison                 
UpdatusUser              

**** End of log ****

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/1mdklywbeLD0XofNJdzv1UT

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Uninstall all NET Framework and reinstall them.

Go to this Microsoft Support website and run the Fix it.

Go to this Microsoft Support and follow both of the instructions.  The second set of instructions involve editing the registry, you should backup the registry first.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT

• Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.

Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERUNT.exe

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, the type in cmd in the Search programs and files.

cmd will appear in Programs above, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.   

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.  

A page similar to the one below will open.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.

If the scan stops after successfully completing a part of the scan for more than thirty minutes type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

Edited by dc3, 22 April 2013 - 10:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users