Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Securely Erasing Feature Phones

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mainuser755

mainuser755

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

I would like to start a thread for discussing the secure erasure of feature phones.

While these phones do not hold as much information as smartphones, they do often contain text messages, photos, videos, and call logs. Some feature phones even contain emails, account passwords, and web browsing history. Removing this data before selling, giving away, or discarding the phone can be important.

Most, if not all, cell phones include some sort of "factory reset" or "restore phone" function that is supposed to remove all data from the phone and restore it to default settings. I will start off by reporting that, on my LG phone, this function does NOT reset the built-in mobile IM app or the voice "training" on the voice commands system.

My question is this: is there any established way to securely erase a feature phone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

Hello,until another comes along that may know something better I found these items.

Disk Wipe... can also be used to securely wipe USB flash drives and SD cards.

Five apps to wipe data from your Android phone

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

Since feature phones generally use proprietary OS's I don't think there is a general procedure to wipe them of data. I'm sure that each manufacturer has a method to do so. I would do a search on the manufacturer website for accepted ways to remove your personal data from a feature phone.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users