Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updares

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 herbert

herbert

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:11 AM

I get the error message "installation failure.Error code 0x643,when trying to install updates for Malware removal tool.I have automatic updateon my computer also windows genuine advantage validation.How can I remedy this

herbert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:55 PM

Which malware removal tool are you installing updates for?

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:30 AM

If I understand correctly you have your computer set to download and install Windows updates automatically. And you are having trouble installing one of the critical updates, Malware removal tool. Correct?

Could be several causes.
  • You could be infected. How do we know that your machine is 100% clean?
  • Firewall issues. Are you using Windows firewall or do you have a different one installed. If you have a different one, try disabling it during the download and install of this update.
You can look for an answer in the Microsoft Update Troubleshooter found HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:42 AM

You're not alone with that error. Seems to be an issue with a hotfix for the .NET Framework.
See this article. Start were it says "Windows Update Failed Detailed Error Code 643
The problem is usually resolved by uninstalling the hotfix and reinstalling the Net Framework 1.1 SP1 package.

Edited by HitSquad, 07 April 2006 - 09:45 AM.

#5 herbert

herbert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:21 AM

Thank you Herk for replying.The removal tool is; Microsoft windows malicious software removal tool

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:00 PM

Thank you Herk for replying.The removal tool is; Microsoft windows malicious software removal tool

Yeah, sorry. I must not have been thinking when I read that. IIRC, there's a version of this that downloads and checks for malware once per month with Automatic Updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users