Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc-cillin Firewall Vs. Norton Firewall

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:54 AM

I have pc-cillin internet security 2006 on my desktop. It has it's own firewall. Currently I am utilizing all of the utilities that came with pc2006 including the firewall. My question is...would norton personal firewall 2006 work with trend micro's security suite if I disabled the TM's firewall? Norton has security, personal firewall, intrusion protection, privacy control, and ad blocking settings. Would I just have to have the personal firewall turned on and leave the other settings unchecked to keep from interfering with the pc-cillin program? If the pc-cillin's firewall is good enough I'll just keep it running and forget about the norton. Right now when I run the Sygate and the Gibsom Research Corporation tests I come up completely stealth on both tests. Sorry to ramble.
HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:56 AM

Most firewalls use the same logical mechanisms to do their job, the differences being in user interfaces and different subsidiary features. If your current firewall, as it seems to have passed a stealth test, is satisfactory and doing what it is designed to do, why would you want to change?
If you are using a combination security suite, picking and choosing various aspects seems a bit confusing in the long run, and in the case of firewalls could lead to having both running at the same time, which can cause serious conflicts.
Bottom line. Use what you have since it works.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:00 PM

I was only asking because I have a norton firewall program. My computer passed the sygate and all of the gibson tests so I guess the TM firewall is doing OK. I'll keep what I have. Thanks.
HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users