Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where's My COA??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 angerli

angerli

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

I have a brand new laptop with Win8 64 preloaded. Nice Dell 17R. I cannot no way find where the COA is, nor the Windows serial number. I want to register this with Microsoft, but can't do that without the COA. Dell says it's embedded. Sure is! I can't find it. Someone, please help!! Thanks, Sandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

Hello :)

With a laptop, if the sticker is not anywhere obvious, it is probably under the battery. Turn the computer completely off, turn it upside down, and look for one or more latches on the battery. Slide them over, and hopefully the battery will now neatly slide out. Don't force anything.

Hopefully the sticker will be there (it is here to stop it getting scatched and worn so you can't read it during everyday use - it is a good thing, otherwise you will be back here like many people asking us how to read a damaged sticker, a much larger problem).

Write your code down, snap the battery back into place, and turn the computer on.

See here for more details if necessary: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001128.htm

Good luck!

Richard

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

Yes, I'm a bit weird :P

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

I have an ASUS Windows 8 Laptop and no COA. A Quick search in Google turned this up.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/where-do-i-find-the-windows-8-product-key-when-it/d4c5c0c1-825d-47f2-9bed-d9625c7e68ff

One of the improvements Microsoft is making to Activation 3.0 for newly built machines that come preloaded with Windows 8, you won’t have a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker attached to the machine anymore. Instead, this will be embedded in the BIOS. This will avoid product keys from being compromised and OEMs will buy what they need.

Personally I prefer the Sticker myself.

Cheers

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

I didn't know about that Roger, thanks for the info :)

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

I looked all over my ASUS when I bought it for the COA.

Here is a little more information if You are curious.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/03/windows_oem_activation_30/

Just as a point of Info If You bought a OEM Windows 8 to use with the new computer you built, it will have a COA with a product key.

They pretty much had to do that or put all the shops assembling custom computers out of business.

Cheers

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

Thank you :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users