Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Laptop Battery

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ac98521

ac98521

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:22 AM

I bought a new a32 f82 battery for my k40ij laptop then it says I should charge it for 10 hours first before I use it. Is that really necessary?

Does it mean I can't charge it and use it at the same time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:48 AM

Battery monitoring will begin to "learn" the characteristic behavior of the new battery, so it's best if you begin with the battery fully charged. It could have self-discharged to some degree since manufacture. Once it's fully charged, the monitor will learn and give you the most accurate remaining charge indication if you cycle a couple of times from full until the laptop shuts down then full recharge.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 ac98521

ac98521
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:08 AM

I see so I really can't charge it while using it for the first time :( Charge then use it first :(

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,661 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:28 AM

I don't think it will create a great problem if you do use the laptop while the battery is taking its first charge - but the charge and the learning will take longer. I'd suggest if you do it this way, keep using the laptop only on mains power until the battery is fully charged, only then start using it on battery. That way the learning process won't start out confused by partial charge and discharge cycles.

#5 ac98521

ac98521
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:31 AM

Ikeep using the laptop only on mains power until the battery is fully charged, only then start using it on battery. That way the learning process won't start out confused by partial charge and discharge cycles.

So the trick is to attach the battery to the laptop plugged in. Then if I turn it off the laptop after 3 hours and still left the laptop plugged in, will the still be ok?

Edited by ac98521, 03 April 2013 - 04:38 AM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,661 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:00 AM

The battery shouldn't be clipped into place with the laptop already powered up. But if you fit the new battery, then turn on the mains power supply, start using the laptop and leave the mains supply on if the battery is still not fully charged when you shut Windows down, I think there should be no problem.

#7 ac98521

ac98521
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

but what if it is already fully charged in my monitor even if it is not yet 10 hours? can I unplug it? is it really fully charged now?

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,661 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

Different authorities give slightly conflicting information about initial conditioning of batteries. I think the 10 hour figure is probably a maximum if the battery arrives heavily self-discharged. I believe if you allow the battery to charge until the laptop indicates it has switched out of charge mode, then that should be safe. Li-ion batteries are less fussy than some older types. But it still gives the best start to life if a new battery gets a full charge then full discharge repeated a couple of times, then settle down to typical partial discharge cycles according to your regular work pattern.

#9 ac98521

ac98521
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

WOAH! Thanks man! You are incredibly smart! You've just given me the worth of my $55 :,)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users