Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chain Emails. I Hate'em. Whatcha Do?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 unwanted

unwanted

• Banned
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:13 AM

I've just received one of those emails like i often do kindly requesting me to foreward it on to 10 other people or else i'll be ran down by a steam roller or somthing to that effect.

The normal reaction is to delete, however been irish we generally are very superstitious and hate rats (rats have nothin to do with this)

I did this time sent a email to the original sender station the following... :thumbsup: and if i get my paws on u ima :flowers: = :trumpet: or words indicating such, not suitable here on BC.

What do you do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:56 AM

Hi unwanted!!

Hmmmm...difficult one this cos i get sent loads and loads...i just delete em...im still alive...no-one hates me (or if they do they havent said)...my luck is still good..(althought there was that time with the sofas...? hmmmm...naaaah...). So suggest you do same...ignore em... :inlove:

Send this on to a million others..otherwise...erm...rats will haunt you... :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

ps..they wont by the way...just joking..!! :cool:
Posted Image
Of all the things Ive lost...I miss my mind the most!

#3 unwanted

unwanted
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:27 AM

:thumbsup: oh go on...wat about the sofa :flowers:

wat ya do?? he he he

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:58 AM

Here's a little site for your amusement re chain-emails and what others are doing...

Chain-Breaker's Community
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:15 AM

Once i get a chain-email, i go to work. I figure out who sent it to the person who sent it to me, then figure out who sent it to THEM, then figure out who sent it to THEM.... etc. I figure out where the letter was originated, and i destroy their box. We're talking DOS-attacks, malware, viruses, gain root and clear out their harddrives, and fry their monitor (just for good measure). I then (in a secret method only i know) fry all the outlets in their computer room, making them un-usable........... oh, and i also shave their cat(s).

Actually, i just delete them...... i get them all the time from my mom/grandpa. I keep begging them to stop..... pretty soon, i just might have to add their addy's to the junk filter :thumbsup:

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 06 April 2006 - 11:15 AM.

#6 unwanted

unwanted
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:05 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Ur killing me!!!!!

I need to be able to do that!!!!!

:inlove: :) :cool:

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:16 PM

I personally fwd all to Mr. Gates at MSFT, Cause he's gonna send me a BIG check one day :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:30 PM

boopme hope that check comes in the mail soon...

Anyways I normally reply the sender with works like If I ever get another god d*** chain letter oh... and just guess the rest...

And since then I haven't been getting any new chaine letters :thumbsup:

Chain letter free for 3 months

#9 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:20 AM

In the dim, distant past, when chain letters were on real paper delivered by the postman, and you were supposed to send your favourite recipes to ten of your friends, then await the unwelcome arrival of five million other folks' favourite recipes, I used to return them to the sender (usually a friend) with a note saying I was just too unreliable to be trusted with the job. (even if I was breaking a chain that Prince William had taken part in, and would be in the Guinness Book of Records if I didn't break it.....etc)

I wish I could find a polite way of deterring the people who send them to me now - usually family members, friends, or parents of friends.

I generally just delete them, although if they are the urban myth or hoax virus type I reply with an explanation and a link to the Hoaxbusters site.

If anyone can suggest a form of words suitable for deterring well-meaning relatives I'd be glad to hear it!

Luci2a :thumbsup:

#10 unwanted

unwanted
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:29 AM

Luci2a....

Im Irish.... We are remowned for our foul mouthed language! However i restrained myself this time somewhat. I replied the following to the last chain mail.....

[i]"Normally when I get these bull :thumbsup: emails I send them back at random to 10 people who have already sent them, with the hope that they will forward this message back to the creator.

" :flowers: you,have an accident"

Note: I apologise to BC for the use of suggestive bad language. But i needed to for "artistic expression"!!

Edited by unwanted, 07 April 2006 - 04:30 AM.

#11 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:50 AM

Hmmm...
Unwanted - I'm looking for something a bit more suitable for elderly relatives, parents of friends etc, who are well-meaning and think it's fun.
I don't even know how to tell them to their faces that it's a pain.
I guess I'll just continue deleting...

Luci2a

nice dog by the way!

Edited by luci2a, 07 April 2006 - 06:52 AM.

#12 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:02 AM

Lucia
I do the same thing when I get an e-mail that is an urban myth etc.
No since of letting them continue to believe it is true. lol
Posted Image

#13 unwanted

unwanted
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:02 AM

Yea, but it gets tho point across!!

#14 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:12 AM

That just keeps the chain going.
Plus if you look at all of the e-mail addys that show on the forwarded e-mails you receive, you can usually see the e-mail address where it originated from.

This is all possible since all of those that send those forwarded e-mails that go around the world a million times never ever use the B.C.C. field for address' or at the very least delete all the prior e-mail addys that show.
Sometimes the list of all of those e-mail addys is bigger than the e-mail itself.

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

#15 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:00 AM

hi Scarlett

What you say is true about BCC never being used, and I hate to think my email addy could be flashed around the world for complete strangers to see, and abuse if they wish to.

When I reply to the urban myth ones I always wonder whether to "reply" or "reply to all" - which creates its own kind of spam I guess.

What do you do? I usually just reply to the immediate sender, more out of politeness than anything else.

Luci2a

Edited by luci2a, 07 April 2006 - 08:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users