Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where to get Official Stock Firmware for WRT54GS?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mainuser755

mainuser755

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

I have a WRT54GS v2 router. I would like to get a copy of the latest stock firmware for this particular router, but I am unable to find it on the Linksys website. There is a link to the GPL code center, but it is not clear which files are for which hardware revisions or, for that matter, whether the files hosted there are even firmware at all. I know that flashing a bad firmware file is a good way to brick such electronics as routers, and I would like to avoid this.

Does anyone know why the firmware is not available on the Linksys website, and, more importantly, where I can obtain the firmware?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support/routers/WRT54G

I see it there, dated Feb 24 2012

(Firmware Upgrade Instructions)
Firmware

02/24/2012

Ver.4.21.5

Download 3.20 MB

(Firmware)

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 mainuser755

mainuser755
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

Thanks, but that link appears to lead to WRT54G firmware, while I need firmware for the WRT54GS.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Sorry, I missed the S

http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support/routers/WRT54GS

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 mainuser755

mainuser755
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

The link isn't dead, but I cannot find the firmware there for the WRT54GS v2. When I select that hardware revision, the website simply states that drivers and firmware are not available for it.

Am I missing something here?  :scratchhead:

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

For version 2 I get:

Setup Wizard

10/01/2002

Download 1.79 MB

(Setup Wizard)

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 mainuser755

mainuser755
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

Yes. I can get there, too. However, it seems that there is no firmware available there, just an outdated setup wizard. Is there some other way I can obtain the firmware?

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

I don't see it anywhere else that specifically says version 2. Maybe someone else knows better than I.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

Is there a specific reason you want the Original Stock firmware? If you have the original setup CD it should be on there. I looked for the original firmware on Linksys's site I didn't see a download either. There are openWRT alternatives to the stock.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#10 mainuser755

mainuser755
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

Yes. There is a reason. I am considering switching to Tomato, but I would like a way to fall back to stock if I should ever need to do so.

The setup CD would contain a very old version of the firmware. If I remember correctly, this router did not support WPA "out of the box", so I would assume that version included on the CD - if any - would not support WPA or WPA2. WEP is not an acceptable substitute. Also, I am not sure if I even have the CD anymore.

Thanks anyways for the help...

Edited by mainuser755, 09 April 2013 - 07:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users