Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Reinstallation Fails

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TaxPro

TaxPro

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

OS appears to be seriously corrupted; PC will not boot properly at all. Error messages vary:

"no bootable device"

"no operating system"

Recovery Screen, but none of the options work...

I have installed Win 7 on many PCs, including computers that appeared to be hopelessly fried. But this one has me kinda stumped...

The bios is set to boot from a CD as the first choice.

Once or twice I have managed to get it to boot from a Windows 7 disk, and even get into the installation process. But then at some point it seems to freeze. I have tried <Install Now>, and I have also tried <Repair Your Computer>. Same results.

What I find interesting is that it boots successfully from a live Linux disk. So this doesn't appear to be a hardware failure...

The PC is a Gateway notebook model NV53A; it appears to be an Acer computer wrapped in a Gateway cow print. Win 7 Home Premium x64.

Any ideas?

I am not trying to save or recover files. I'd love to just do a clean install.

BMK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TaxPro

TaxPro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

More info--

When booting the PC cold, without a disk, the screen now says <Windows is loading files>.

WTF?

Almost seems like the Windows installation is somehow stuck in RAM...

But is that even possible on a cold boot?

By cold boot, I mean no battery, AC only, with the power having been off, cord unplugged, for several minutes or more.

BMK

Edited by TaxPro, 02 April 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#3 TaxPro

TaxPro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

New info...

The installation process is not finding the hard drive. It is asking me to "click Load Drivers and then install drivers for your hard disks."

The hard disk is an OEM Mitsubishi product...

Any ideas on how to address this?

BMK

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:35 AM

Tried checking the status of the hard drive itself if its still healthy? How about alternately using a stick of RAM when it properly starts installing? Using another hard drive would also be another option to check on the difference. I presume the disc is a full edition installer disc and not the OEM that is made for only a particular computer.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users