Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

second sata hard drive not recognized

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bmckinney04

bmckinney04

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/241993/windows-doesnt-boot-2nd-drive-isnt-recognized/#entry1343078 - Hamluis.

pls help....i bought a 3tb hard drive and i installed it but it isnt showing up in the bios or in disc management

Edited by hamluis, 28 March 2013 - 01:18 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Abluhwleh

Abluhwleh

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

Hi There

Sometimes drives over 2Tb need special drivers to install correctly. You can look at the Manufacturers website or post the make and model of the drive on here and I'll try and find it for you.

Marc

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

We will also need to know what operating system you are running, this should include if it is the 32-bit or 64-bit version.

It seems that different manufacturers are coming up with their own solutions.  Western Digital is shipping their 3TB hdds with a PCI-1 card to resolve the issue, Seagate has a download for their Discwizard software to resolve this issue, this will only work with Seagate hdds. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 bmckinney04

bmckinney04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

awesome.. it is a wd green model # wd30ezrx.....ive tried everything updating bios, different configurations

im running w7 32 bit, mobo is  asus p5ql-e

#5 bmckinney04

bmckinney04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

i installed a second sata hard drive and it isnt showing up in bios or disk management, i know the hard drive works....

#6 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

bmckinney04,

Can you please provide a little more detail about how you know the drive works and have you double checked to make sure the drive is spinning when powered up and that data cable is connected properly? Have you tried a different SATA port, or is the port disabled in the bios?

-lcs_tech

#7 bmckinney04

bmckinney04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

I took the drive to a computer shop and got the guy to hook it up to make sure the drive wasnt defective, it showed up but he used a sata to usb ....so i brought the drive back and hooked it up with no luck...i went to asus website and updated drivers and bios to the lastest revisions...i have a sata hard drive hooked up which is my primary drive.....my dvd burner is also sata ....i have six ports and have tried every port including the one my dvd is hooked to...the hard drive shows up in bios but only the name and type of drive but not as the size....its a wd30ezrx 3tb hard drive....ive scanned drives in disk management...unplugged plugged and unplugged...i am out of ideas

#8 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

Well, if the BIOS sees the drive you're golden. What operating system are you using? If I remember correctly there was a windows update for 7 a while back that you had to manually select to install that resolved issues with larger HDD's. You might want to run windows update and make sure all the updates are selected and check the optional updates too.

#9 bmckinney04

bmckinney04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

i am running w7 x64...i just reinstalled it and am getting the updates that come through

#10 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

doing some quick google searches about windows 7 not seeing a 3tb drive turns up a lot of results, seems that you aren't the only one with this problem.

try reading this article from Microsoft, it might provide some help.

--lcs_tech

#11 bmckinney04

bmckinney04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

i read the article and chked for newest update to jmicron sata controller driver......before i installed the update i tried again plugging in the hd and got a secondary master hard drive failure...so i am not sure if the drive is defective now or not....

#12 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

Another question,

When you plug the drive in, does it even show up in device manager? Maybe the install got glitched and its just sitting there with a yellow exclamation point or a yellow question mark. I've seen that happen in the past. If so, right click and uninstall, reboot, and let windows find new hardware.

-lcs_tech

#13 bmckinney04

bmckinney04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

it doesnt show up in device manager or disk management......no exclamation marks on anything in device manager....now when it boots up i get the secondary master hard drive failure so im unsure if ive messed up the drive or if its trying to read it and cant figure out what it is....i have 6 sata ports and ive tried them all...ive read up on the model of mobo which is asus p5ql-e and "they" say it should work but i havent had any positive results...

#14 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

Greetings, 

bmckinney04 has another thread started about this issue as well that I have been trying to help him with.

I'm not sure how to report it to moderator to merge the threads.

The other thread can be found here

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

Two topics merged here..

3TB Hard Drive and this one.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users