Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to determine if overheating is due to hardware failure?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ket

Ket

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

I have an HP laptop which is known for overheating. Add to that that I run my laptop 15-18 hours a day and you have a laptop with a constantly running fan that generates high temperatures. I have read several articles about laptop overheating. Most of them suggest to clean the vents, update BIOS, put the laptop on a hard surface etc. However, having done all these my laptop still has a constantly running fan. The temperatures according to CrystalDiscInfo are not very high (32-42 C) but recently the laptop started having these random shut downs, especially when watching flash videos or playing simple online games (eg Tetris). I think it shuts down when it gets to 50 C and it really feels hot when touching it underneath the processor.

I have latest BIOS and all drivers updated, a cooling pad and the laptop around 10cm above the surface of the desk. I clean regularly the air vents (as much as possible because HP have made it difficult for this model) by using compressed air cans.

So, I have come to believe that it is a hardware failure, probably related to the motherboard. WhoCrashed gives the following analysis:

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\123112-22214-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x4B094C)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8004F5E8F8, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time

My question is: Is there a way to determine if my motherboard is dying and somehow prevent it? I also heard there are repair shops that replace the GPU, or reball it and apply new thermal paste, which are cheaper than replacing the whole motherboard. Would you suggest these kinds of repair? What other hardware failure could be causing the shut downs? Any advice appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Anyone? I understand it is difficult to determine. I just wanna "listen" to your thoughts.

Edited by Ket, 05 April 2013 - 03:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users