Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trying to reload xp pro on a computer that wont boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bsg

bsg

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

my computer refuses to boot saying wndows\config/sys file not there,

I have a disc which boots the machine and gets me into the microsoft recovery console. tried chkdsk etc but does not solve. so tried to reload ,I have xp pro disc and codes. but when i try to set up xp the recovery console asks for the home version of xzp and wont use my pro version

any ideas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

If you have either an XP Pro or XP Home CD...the Recovery Consolde is the same.  There is no difference that I am aware of.  Same command options in either.  Codes don't come into play when accessing the Recovery Console.

Your error message indicates a damaged registry.

See:

Corrupted Registry, Config.sys Missing or Corrupt - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Post #10 by AustrAlien at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/441257/missing-windowssystems32configsystem/ .

Louis

#3 bsg

bsg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:59 AM

hamluis   thanks for the reply but i have already tried the micropsft link you gave and it says that it cant find the files in the windows\system32\config\ and the windows\repair\  folders . I have checked and they are empty which is why i was trying to reload the system . The recovery console  comes up saying it is for xp home version and wont read the xp pro version just asks for hom version. I never get asked for codes. Is there a way of creating a boot disc to get to recovery console which is not windows version dependant?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

There is a way to create a disk which gives users alternate access to the Recovery Console.

See instructions by AustrAlien at ARCDC Disk Creation - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic421198.html/page__p__2424943#entry24249

or those by Andrew at ARCDC How To - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic380303.html .

Louis

#5 bsg

bsg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

Hamluis thanks using yo laST post managed to create a boot disc for xp pro and with this managed to sort out my problems.

So prob lem solved but being new to this forum don't know how to set it as solved in the forum

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

We don't play that particular game :), we just leave the topics/post open...someone else may find themselves in a similar situation and be able to use the content posted here.

Glad you resolved your situation...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users