Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Powertoys and Outlook

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eriktheready

eriktheready

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

Let me start with Outlook - and don't pack up laughing. I got my wife her own email address and when she views/prints the header reads Rose as set up when the email information was added. Now I want to change the header on mine from both our names to my name and I am damned if I can find / remember how to do it!

Powertoys/image resizer:

In XP and so on if I loaded photos onto my machine I could resize them by choice if I wanted to when I wanted to. I did this by downloading a little routine from Microsoft in their powertoys section called  - image resizer. There is no longer an image resizer available in Powertoys and, with Win 8 being FAAAR too clever for its own good, you have little choice but to try to use the windows picture edit programs and I do not want to dump my machine in the swimming pool.

If I attach pictures to an email Win8 automatically resizes them down - even if I need to send a bigger/original image - how to get round that?

If I want to resize pictures in the windows picture editor I am likely to throw the damn machine...well let's not go there!

Erik

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

What version of Office do you have 2010,Office 365, or 2013?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 eriktheready

eriktheready
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:27 AM

Hello BC adviser,

I am running Win8 with Office 2010 which supposedly has all the latest upgrades...? I am a bit of a novice (but you have gathered that).

On this subject...I wanted to make some pictures "smaller" and could not find how to do that in the picture viewers so I selected my pictures, clicked send by email and then when the email opened with the "smaller" versions I resaved each one under a new name (name suffix). With image resizer from powertoys it was as simple as click the pics, right click and select Image resizer, click the required resize option and they were automatically resaved next to the original so you retained the original.

If I want to send original size pictures (JPEG images around 1.5-2meg) then I open the email and attach them in the normal way but they are shown in a size that is not the size shown in the file/folder that I keep them in. That may be the Win8 way of rounding down the size but it is disconcerting to see a 1.44meg picture attached to an email as a 1meg picture. This happens even if I drop and drag it to the email.

I was working in Word yesterday and trying to insert pictures. I was using a justified format and wanted the text to flow round the pictures. The tutorial on the windows 8 / word 2010 help site seems to bear no relation to what happens on my machine but by perseverance and trial and error I found a way using the "Position" and "Wrap Text" tools to do what I needed but I am sure there must have been a simpler way.

I had a similar problem when I wanted to "Group" some pictures and eventually found I was able to do it with the "Position" and "Wrap Text" tools because before one could click a picture, hold Ctrl and click the next pictures and then click group but no longer it seems.

And so it goes on but I really miss the Powertoys image resizer that was sooo handy if you are not into the whole windows picture setup.

I also find that downloading from my camera is now so tedious because the old picture and camera viewer allowed you to take the pictures you wanted, allocate a file location and name for the group and then save them. I have no idea now so I go to the camera images (click, click, click till they come up, copy and paste - or drag - the pictures to the folder file I want them to be in and then I have to rename each one.

I think Microsoft got toooo clever for their own good and made some of the routines pretty much unrecognisable when using Win 8 even though I am running it from the classic menu in a similar way to Win7.

so, if all this makes any kind of sense to you and you can advise me that would be wonderbra - sorry I mean wunderba!

If you prefer I will supply my direct email address if you want to get into this?

Erik

Edited by eriktheready, 11 April 2013 - 01:34 AM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

You can use Microsoft Office Picture Manager to change the size of your pictures. Have you tried updating the computer software for your camera?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 eriktheready

eriktheready
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

I note that your username is Sneakycyber - apologies for the error before!

I find picture manager very confusing and long-winded in the latest Windows ver - in fact I have always found it so ever since I have been using photos in association with the computer.

If you mean the camera manufacturers software update (Fuji) then no, I have not tried to find the latest software. Bear in mind that the manufacturers software is also longwinded and confusing. The little Windows menu that I used to get that asked what I wanted to do was ideal because you just clicked on get pictures from camera and followed about 3 steps then finish and the pictures were where you wanted them and in a file folder with a title. Then Powertoys Image Resizer made the rest of what I needed to do very simple.

I am really finding this latest version tedious - I was a teenager more than forty years ago! I will see what happens when I find the latest manufacturers software and if that interfaces with Win8 in a more user-friendly way.

I also find the tutorials on the Microsoft site are a bit confusing as it appears some of them have not been updated.

I shall persevere - any help with my Outlook dilemma? I am also struggling to make all my address lists accessible when I am creating an email - at the moment I can only access the first folder I created but the business folder is there but I can only view it not load addresses from it.

Erik

#6 Rowdyward

Rowdyward

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:52 AM

Here is what you are looking for. I also used that powertoy and found this. 

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

#7 eriktheready

eriktheready
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

Well thank you, Rowdyward. I have just downloaded it and will start using it over the weekend.

I find Windows picture manager leads me to the point that I want to chuck my computer and associated gear in the swimming pool!

All the best

Erik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users