Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP DV2000 random power off, battery?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

Hi all,

weird situation here:

hp DV2000 laptop. My client just had the motherboard replaced for graphics issues. (I did not install it)

Client wanted me to install software and carry over data from an existing drive.

Simple right?

well, at first, everytime I booted into BIOS, the Windows disk, or Darik's the computer would shut down. I would have to wait to fire it up. the charging port would flash instead of staying solid. 

I tried different chargers, same thing. I tried a different battery and it seemed to be a little better. I even let it charge over night.

Worked for a bit this morning and then right back to shutting down every minute.

The catch: with no battery in it, the PC would stay on. I realize that a dead battery might be the cause of something like this if it wasn't plugged in. It has been plugged in this whole time though. Right now, it has been on for 45 minutes or so without the battery. NOT A HITCH! what's the deal here? any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

Since You tried different chargers and batteries, What is left is the Motherboard.

I replaced a Motherboard in one of those problematic DV series for a graphics problem too.

The Boss ordered it from China, Sure enough the graphics worked fine, However the DVD Drive port was dead. Sent it back second one everything worked.

My suspicion was that when the graphics problem was fixed they never tested further so the dead DVD drive port wasn't caught.

In Your case I suspect that the charging circuitry is bad or both batteries you tested with are bad.

A little clarification please? You Said "the charging port would flash instead of staying solid"

Do You mean the light at the DC-In Jack or the one that shows the AC Adapter is plugged in to the computer and supplying power?

Check and see if there is any warranty on the Motherboard as a first step.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

you said:        "A little clarification please? You Said "the charging port would flash instead of staying solid"

Do You mean the light at the DC-In Jack or the one that shows the AC Adapter is plugged in to the computer and supplying power?"

.....Yes, the DC-in jack. There is a blue LED ring around where the charger connects. It is solid usually, but the times in which in won't turn on, (with the battery connected) it flashes.

I finally got the HD backed up and formated and the OS installed. I have a total of 3 batties to test on it. I will see how Windows reads these. The BIOS is very basic and gives no battery health.

I will see what happens here before I dump all the user data (pictures, files, music...ect) back on to it. and install drivers. Maybe the BIOS needs to be flashed, I received a notice saying that the HD was frozen earlier when formatting. I thought it was odd, but I just used a different program to format the drive instead of messing with it. It worked, so I shrugged it off. Also, the clock in Windows Set-up read April 2006. so I think I may replace the CMOS too. who knows what all they did to prep this before sending it back out.

If it were up to me, I would just take this thing's motherboard out and give it back to Nvidia and tell them where to stick it. :bananas:  These PCs are wretched. I get inquiries every day for DV6000's with no Video. I told this guy I wouldn't fix it, :nono:  and that he should buy a new laptop. instead he shipped it off somewhere and here it is again, now with broken boot sectors and mysterious ghosts in the MoBo. :scratchhead:

Sorry for the rant. Moral of the story, buy a Dell! LoL. :thumbsup2:

#4 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

The client had the wrong AC adapter, I foolishly matched the 19V 4.74A adapter they had with one of mine with the same specs. 

Next time I will just look up the correct Charger. I matched up a 18.5V 3.5A  and the laptop is charging the battery.

Mission solved scooby doo :thumbup2:

Thanks Rotor for your interst in my post

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

If I had a dime for every laptop I have seen where they used whatever adapter would plug in.

That was a good catch. The Blue ring around the DC In Jack is actually a little daughter card as I remember it.That was why I was asking what was lit.

I saw a lot of HP laptops with 19Volt dell ac adapters in the past. That doesn't mean it won't cause problems in the future.

Anytime someone came to me with a dv2000, dv6000, or dv9000 that had an AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU I ended up not even touching them after a couple of times.

Those HPs and the Thinkpad T41 / T42 are trouble. Even if they are working the video is so delicate. The T41 & T42 turned out to have problems with the ATI Video where they needed to be reballed.

Anyway, Thanks for letting us Know the solution

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

NO problem, another trouble maker is the d620s and d630s (Dell). Which is a shame because they are nice little machines. very professional looking and they have that tough aluminum case. The Video cards on those crap out all the time too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users