Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not start up/Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SoXfused

SoXfused

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

Last night when I was online, I was online and the site I was on was so slow that I couldn't even close out of it (nothing to do with viruses or malware - nothing popped up on my AV and the site is known for being slow), so I ended up having to do a "hard" shut down (turning the power off).  So then when I go to start the computer up the next time, I am now getting the blue screen of death a few seconds after the Gateway logo shows up. 

On the blue screen, it says: 

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.  If this is he first time you've seen this Stop eror screeen, restart your computer.  If this screen apears again, follow these steps.

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmenation, or back up utilities...(and so on).

Tech information:

Stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x861B2008, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

Well, I've tried restarting my computer, but it keeps going back to that screen, so I can't follow their steps.  I've tried starting in Safe Mode, but that takes me right back to the blue screen as well.

Does anyone know how I can get past this screen?  Thanks for any help in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 SoXfused

SoXfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Hi Louis,

It's a Gateway Windows XP Intel Core 2 and the model is (AK) MFUBTX 6C1 LVPDX420S.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

That is not the model number of the system...you can get an idea of what the model numbers might be...by surfing the Gateway support webpages.

FWIW: 

STOP Error 0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM STOP error 0x24 means a problem occurred in ntfs.sys, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS drives. STOP code 0x00000024 may also display "NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM" on the same STOP message.

This could be a minor or major error.  First thing to try is to run chkdsk /r command from the Recovery Console.

Error can be indicative of NTFS file system corruption/damage...or can be indicative of a physical hard drive problem.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 April 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#5 SoXfused

SoXfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

OK, I figured out the model - It's a Gateway DX420S.

Could you tell me how I get to the Recovery Console?  And when I run chkdsk /r command will it give me instructions on what to do?

#6 SoXfused

SoXfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

OK, I found the Recovery Console and clicked on it and it brought me right back to that blue screen.  So then I tried starting up the computer again, pressing F11 over and over again, and then it just brought me to a black screen with the Gateway logo and it says, "Please Wait".  It's been like this for the last 20 minutes and the computer doesn't even sound like it's doing anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users