Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Automatically Starts Up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BennyD

BennyD

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:36 AM

Hi all,

3 days ago I had broadband installed to replace the old dial up connection. Now every time I shut down the computer it starts up again after approx 7 mins. I'm probably being paranoid but could it be possible that someone has infected my computer with this trick.

I'm running XP Pro, Norton Internet Security 06, Internet Explorer. My virus defs are up to date and a full Norton scan revealed nothing.

Has anyone ever heard of this auto startup thing happening before and how do I go about stopping it other than pulling power cord from the wall?

Thanks

Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unwanted

unwanted

• Banned
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:50 AM

That is weird!!....i'll be keeping track of this post, i am very interested to see what the problem is, maybe its a hardware problem ??

#3 BennyD

BennyD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:48 PM

Cheers Unwanted,

Does anyone else know that this could be a hardware prob??

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:46 PM

In the BIOS some computers have an option to start a computer and a certian time. Make sure it is disabled.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users