Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 HomeGroup networking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

I just read an article that Win7 & Win8 use HomeGroup

--- Will it be possible to network 2 XP Pro & 2 Vista Home Premium computers using WorkGroup with Win8 computers using HomeGroup?

--- I'd like to believe it should be easy enough to change the XP and Vista computers to HomeGroup but will there be any "gotchas" involved? 

I volunteer at a non-profit organization that have 2 XP Pro & 2 Vista Home Premium computers and they work fine being networked with WorkGroup with sharing a couple of printers and many of their files

--- However I want to phase out their XP computers and phase in Win8 computers before the XP computers lose Microsoft support next April, but they are hesitant to buy more than one computer at a time because of the learning curve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

This is very possible just make sure all the PC's are in the same "WORKGROUP". The Gotchas are you will need to have the same user account information on the XP Machines and the newer ones or use the "EVERYONE" group in the the sharing center. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,688 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

Thank you for that information. I will put that in my notes so when they get to buy their new computer, I'll have a good heads up on what to do

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

You are Welcome.  :thumbup2:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +