Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do i run installed programs on linux debian and how to install a gui without

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 johnsonparkar224

johnsonparkar224

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:27 AM

Am new to linux and i dont have any gui installed. I would like 2 know which website 2 go 2, 2 download the gui and how do i install it after downloading. And how do i run installed programs such as python?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

First you should either make your own live DVD or purchase one.

The reason for first using a LIVE DVD is to find out if your computer and you are compatible with Linux.

Review the info in link below and if you have any questions...please ask.

BurningIsoHowto - Community Ubuntu Documentation

GUI (graphical user interface) is what you see on your screen to interact with your computer's software

whether it is a program's GUI or your OS using icons, menus, links, etc.

Most Linux distros have the option to run them as Live...not installed.

They use only your RAM and will not write to your hdd. They will run slower as live, especially the DVD.

You can also install a Live distro on a Flash Drive which will boot much faster.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

Johnson,

There are lots of Live Linux distributions out there.

What CPU, how much RAM, and hard drive space may determine which one to use.

You can download most of them using direct ftp, or you can use bit torrent software.

May I suggest the following:

Wary Puppy for older hardware and limited resources.  My have issues with some video drivers for onboard video.

Knoppix for good general purpose.  Up to date with Version 7.  Good hardware detection, but limited partition configuration on install.

xUbuntu for custom install.  Version 12.04 is long term supported, with ongoing developement.  Allows custom partitioning during install to allow /home on separate partition.

By no means it this the definitive list.  I encourage you to look around.  Download and burn the different CD's and see which one you like.

When you are ready, then the CD will have an option to install the complete package on your hard drive.

Cheers!

Naught

Edited by Naught McNoone, 02 April 2013 - 12:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users