Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Do U Have For Gfx?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:29 AM

Hey, I was just wondering what all you have for gfx cards. Trying to figure out what to get for gaming and I thought i'd like to hear about the cards from the horses mouth (of gamers)

Edited by Gothmog, 06 April 2006 - 03:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:52 AM

Gigabyte GeForce 7800GTX

:thumbsup: Put a slight overclock on it also. Been meaning to get some aftermarket cooling to pump it up higher.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:56 AM

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 6600 and it's pretty good. I'm not sure what to recommend to you, as they vary greatly in price, and subsequant performance. How much would be you be prepared to fork out for one?

Charles :thumbsup:

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:32 AM

I've got a nvidia 6800GS. It's considerably cheaper than the 6800Gt, and is close in performance.

The 6600GT is a great card, good bang for the buck (as it's about $100-$120). It's got good core and memory clock speeds, 128mb DDR ram, and is available in either AGP or PCI-E.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:23 AM

I have the FX 5600XT on AGP, I overclocked it from 235/400 stock to 322/552. I get extraordinary FPS in DOOM 3 at medium quality and 640x480 reso, given that this card is about 5-6 years old. But in my soon to be current rig, I'm going to have a 6600 or a 7300.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#6 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:54 AM

I have a stock Radeon ATI x200 128mb integrated card...... it's not that powerful, but it can still run Doom 3 on low and Half-Life 2 on medium settings (as well as Condemned on medium and Tomb Raider: Legends on medium, both demos).

I'm soon going to upgrade to an Nvidia 256mb card, just not sure which one to snag for the best value (price vs. performance).

#7 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:13 AM

Nvidia released the 7900 gt(x) cards. The 7900 gt is like $300 as compared to the 7800gt's $400.

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:57 AM

I'm soon going to upgrade to an Nvidia 256mb card, just not sure which one to snag for the best value (price vs. performance).

Might want to look at the nvidia 6800gs....it's around $200 (maybe less now) and is fast! My card came overclocked, and is (if I remember correctly) 460mhz core/1000mhz memory. It's also 256 mb gddr3. Only thing is that it's long, so if you have an mini atx case, be carfull. You can get this card in AGP or PCI-E.

If the price is to high for you, there's the 6600GT, which is about $110. It's 128 mb ddr, and is quite fast too. Good clock speeds, specially if you get an OC'd card.

I'm sure that ATI has some good cards out too, I'm just not familiar with them.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#9 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:31 PM

I'm looking for an Nvidia to be fully compatible with my Ubuntu/future linux distro's. I've already learned first-hand that ATI's and Linux aren't the best of friends.... lol

#10 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:08 PM

Yes, nVidia is the way to go for linux, apparently.

I got an X800 XT AGP not long ago, but the chipset on my older mobo didn't like it (so I thought) so I haven't really "tested it out" yet. After a lot of tearing and lags, I swapped my 9800 pro back in; but I get some of the same problems. So I must conclude that the mobo's AGP interface (or something along those lines) is fubar. Although the idea makes me ill, I am going to buy yet another 478 mobo, with a newer chipset, so I can just drop everything back into it. But with that X800 I should be pretty much set for a while.

I don't think I will bother overclocking the X800, it's already at 500 mHz. Though I have recently have thought about overclocking my proc; it's a Northwood 2.8. As it turns out, the Prescott's for the 478 don't peform that much better than the Northwood's, even though they have a 1 meg cache vs the 512 on the NW. The only thing the 478 Prescott is better at is creating heat. :thumbsup: So I figure I could boost my cool-running NW up a few notches without need for a fancy after-market cpu heatsink/fan.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:30 PM

Two....1300XT GS Geforce FX5900XT 256MB DDR AGP
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 PhantomaZero

PhantomaZero

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 02:14 AM

Sporting an eVGA Geforce 6600GT 128MB PCI-E. My Dell is running an embarassing Radeon X300.

#13 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:30 AM

this is some good feedback. It came as I suspected, no super new cards, but a few high end and most in the middle class range. My current comp has a AGP Radeon 9000 Pro :thumbsup: and I wanna upgrade that to something respectable for '06 and then I want to build a new comp that will stay respectable til '08-'09. I was thinking about SAPPHIRE Radeon X800GTO for my old machine and a 6800 GS for the new one. (what would be the difference btwn an OEM card and retail? I was only expecting to get just a card, what else would they give in a retail pkg that i would miss in OEM?)

You may say "what he's crazy, only a 6800 GS!", but I was hoping to SLI it with a mate in a year to bump up performance when the middle class cards become really cheap. My only thought/concern about this is that for SLI to work the cards have to be a pair, like dual channel RAM, and in one year I might not be able to get the same model since companies discontinue certain models and tweak them with new tech etc. would I be better off with a 7800 gtx? and then if it can't be matched I'll still have a damn good gfx card.

Nvidia released the 7900 gt(x) cards. The 7900 gt is like $300 as compared to the 7800gt's $400.

why is the 7900 gt $100 less than the 7800 gtx. :flowers: at face value it appears superior in every aspect, but costs less. I realize that the 7900 gtx is immensly powerful and has a $ amount to go with that, but why not cut the price on the last quarter cards? Should I get a 7900 gt before they figure out its too cheap?

Lastly another question. What do you rank these gfx card qualities in importance? core/memory clock, memory size/interface(bit)/type, pixel pipelines, anything else. I would like to know what quality effects performance the most and what I should ignore as fluff :trumpet:

Also any companies you highly recommend or suggest to steer clear of?

Edited by Gothmog, 11 April 2006 - 02:31 AM.

#14 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:25 AM

You may say "what he's crazy, only a 6800 GS!", but I was hoping to SLI it with a mate in a year to bump up performance when the middle class cards become really cheap. My only thought/concern about this is that for SLI to work the cards have to be a pair, like dual channel RAM, and in one year I might not be able to get the same model since companies discontinue certain models and tweak them with new tech etc. would I be better off with a 7800 gtx? and then if it can't be matched I'll still have a damn good gfx card.

I wouldn't bother with SLI. What many people don't realize is that not all games support SLI to begin with, and that it can cause a slew of headaches to get to work with the games you have. Besides I don't think there will be a big price-drop for the 6800 GS before they run out. It was a patch for a hole in nVidias product range and there has never been that many of them going around.

why is the 7900 gt $100 less than the 7800 gtx. :thumbsup: at face value it appears superior in every aspect, but costs less. I realize that the 7900 gtx is immensly powerful and has a $ amount to go with that, but why not cut the price on the last quarter cards? Should I get a 7900 gt before they figure out its too cheap?

The 7900 GT is suppose to replace the 7800 GT not the 7800 GTX. nVidia will probably drop the entire 7800 line in favor for the 7900 line. But your right that the 7900 GT is equal to the 7800 GTX in alsmot all aspects, except that its cooler and needs less power

Lastly another question. What do you rank these gfx card qualities in importance? core/memory clock, memory size/interface(bit)/type, pixel pipelines, anything else. I would like to know what quality effects performance the most and what I should ignore as fluff :flowers:

Completely ignore all of the specs, they aren't relevant when comparing different cards. They have completely different impacts depending on the type core and memory. Only when you compare cards with the same core and memory do they give and idea of comparative performance. Stick to benchmarks.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#15 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:29 PM

I feel so under powered....

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

But new comp :thumbsup: that's where it get's interesting building this rig next year... two 7900GT cards in SLI :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users