Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Scheduler Service will not start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sandman7331

sandman7331

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:07 AM

Hello, I just noticed this happening within the past week.  I am running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. I was trying to do a Windows Backup when it said that Backup needed to be set up, which was odd because i have done backups before.  I click on "Set up Backup", then select my usb drive, pick what i want backed up, then click "Save settings and run backup". I get a window saying "The request is not supported (0x"80070032)"

I looked that up online and saw a couple of posts about making sure Task Scheduler service was started.  I try to open Task Scheduler from Administrator Tools, and I get a window with the message "The remote computer was not found." and an OK button.  I press OK and then the regular Task Scheduler window opens, but it doesnt show any tasks in the Task Status field or Active Status field, only the message "Reading Data Failed"  Also, all the actions in the right side window were greyed out (Create task, Import task, etc). I then check Task Scheduler under Services from Administrator Tools, and the service is not running, but the Startup Type is Automatic.  I then try to start the service by right clicking on it and selecting "Start".  The service start window opens up and the progress bar moves a small amount then the window closes and this message box appears, "The Task Scheduler service on Local Computer started then stopped.  Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

I then checked the Task Scheduler Dependancies tab, and checked that RPC, DCOM Service Process Launcher, RPC Endpoint Mapper, and Windows Event Log were started and set to Automatic.

I am not sure how to proceed now.  Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sandman7331

sandman7331
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Anybody have any ideas with this?  Could this be virus/malware related?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

Have a read at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/task-scheduler-service-is-not-starting-so-i-am/6c2c3229-7636-415b-8d78-d8d26a2649b1 .

Louis

#4 sandman7331

sandman7331
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

I have tried everything in that post with no luck.  Ended up doing a Win 7 reinstall.  Thanks for the help anyway.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Thanks for letting us know, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users