Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unauthorized Remote Access

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bragaul

bragaul

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

Hello,

I'm using Vista SP2 Home Prem.

I received some false positives from AVG regarding a trojan (www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/490480/trojan-horse-generic32agei-avg-detection-cannot-be-removed/). However, while trying to determine if it was a fp or not I received a remote desktop connection request from an unknown website. I'm sorry, I didn't screenshot it and I don't remember the url. I believe I was on the VirusTotal website at the time.

I thought this might be related to the trojan problem (which was later confirmed to be a false positive). So I closed the request and checked to see why remote access was turned on. Remote access was turned on for 3 of my computers and I did not enable it. It is, apparently, turned off by default. Using instructions found at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/turn-on-remote-desktop-in-windows-vista/, I turned remote assitance off for all 3 computers. I also went into advanced and also de-selected "allow this computer to be controlled remotely."

I've attached images of those selections because the remote desktop options don't appear for me as they do in the help article. Is this a vista/7 difference?

Is there anything I should do to in addition to virus scanning and turning off remote access?

Can I tell if my computer was ever accessed in this manner before?

What could've turned remote access on?

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users