Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Mini Cq10, BSOD 0x0000007b at boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 d-r

d-r

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

I have a friends Compaq Mini, that initially wouldn't boot past POST. Evidently a worn cable that connects the webcam was the cause. After unplugging the webcam behind the bezel, it now boots past POST, past a black screen with a progress bar that says "Starting Acer eRecovery Environment", into the animated WindowsXP splash screen, and promptly crashes with a BSOD error  0x0000007b (0xf789ea98 0xc00000034 0x00000000 0x00000000)

I booted the machine with an Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows, and found that the hdd was not readable. I ran Chkdsk and Testdisk and now the1st (recovery) and 2nd (main) partitions are readable, but I still get the BSOD and error code. Using a PLPBT boot disk, I booted to the 2nd partition, got the "Windows did not start successfully..." screen, and whether I select Safe Mode or normal mode, I still get the same BSOD and error code. BTW, the 1st (recovery) partition is flagged as bootable, the 2nd (main) partition is not.

Almost everything I have read about that error code on this machine relates to installation problems (the SATA driver needs to be slipstreamed into the installation disc), or a bios setting for the hdd (SATA/IDE), which this bios does not have. I have permission to reinstall/recover, which I would do if I could get it to successfully boot to the recovery partition, but if I could get past the BSOD I probably wouldn't have to! I have been reluctant to screw around with the boot partition, MBR, fixboot, bootcfg, etc. because TestDisk says they are ok, and the boot.ini (located on the 2nd partition) looks like:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Any advice someone can offer would be greatly appreciated.  And thanks in advance!

Edited by d-r, 01 April 2013 - 09:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Hi

BSOD 07 is caused by multiple reasons. It could be either software or hardware. First you need to verify your hardware.

UBCD4WIN comes with the free version of HDtune. First thing you should do is to scan your HDD for bad sectors. If your UBCD4win don't have HDtune obtain the free version from http://www.hdtune.com/download.html . You can also use seagate seatool DOS version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users