Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files are missing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sportsmomma

sportsmomma

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

I am not sure what is going on but I suddenly have lots of files that are missing.  The folders that they were in show up under "recent places" as shortcuts but I can't find them any where else. I've searched as many ways as I know how.  I've done a system restore, malware search and other things but still can't find the files anywhere.  

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:53 AM

Hi and :welcome: to BC.

Please post if you are using Windows XP, Vista or 7 next time. Are these media files or documents, combination which you are trying to locate? Hopefully they are not deleted in any way. Try also using this http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

Tekken

#3 sportsmomma

sportsmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

Hi, sorry. I'm using Windows 7.  They are all document files. Thanks for any help you can give me!

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

Please try using treesize as all directories and subdirectories would help you find the documents. "Recent Places" actually is not a good practice to remember/rely all your files location then access as its just a last action taken feature. See also here if it helps http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2013-recent-items-turn-off.html

Tekken

#5 sportsmomma

sportsmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:32 AM

Thank you jhayz.  I've actually pretty much given up.  I've used Recuva and still can't find the files.  I'm just gonna treat it as a lesson learned and be more careful about backing things up to my external hard drive more often.  I appreciate your help.

#6 sportsmomma

sportsmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Using Recuva I was able to find many of the files but unfortunately most of them showed "unrecoverable".  What was strange is what it showed they were overwritten by- one was overwritten by a picture from my ipad.  Very strange.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

It shows only that they were deleted accidentally(?) since you have used a recovery software. I was presuming that they were just not found on a certain directory/folder.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users