Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WU Error

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 djxpress

djxpress

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/479492/w7-update-error-800f0900/#entry3017405 - Hamluis.

Hi niemiro,

Attached is my CB.zip file.  I have the exact same issue as the OP.  Can you help me?

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.zip   105.65KB   19 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 01 April 2013 - 05:08 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

Hello -

Please start with this base information from M/soft support -

Step 1:Run the Windows update troubleshooter.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

Step 2: Try installing the update manually in clean boot. Scroll down to the Windows7 area and expand the + boxes
“How to perform Clean Boot”  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135     

Note: Please ensure that the computer is set to start as usual by following the step 7 from the article.

Thank You -

#3 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

Hello :)

You have a corrupt .mum file: C:\Windows\Servicing\Packages\WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-UIComp~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~7.6.7600.256.mum

Plus a corrupt .manifest file: amd64_microsoft-windows-u..oyment-languagepack_31bf3856ad364e35_7.1.7601.16492_bg-bg_83b9619cd9345dcf

Plus 7 reported corruptions by SFC, although you will probably find that they resolve themselves when we fix up the .mum and .manifest files.

In addition, there are probably several more corruptions (where there is one corrupt .mum/.manifest file, there are usually several/many corrupt .mum/.cat/manifest files from the same update).

Not to worry! These corruptions are all easy to fix. Whether you have 1 or 20 corruptions really is irrelevant, as long as they are all easy to fix (which so far, these all are).

I would give ourselves a very good chance of success. But first, I need to bring in an additional tool to help me:

Please download and install the System Update Readiness Tool from here: What is the System Update Readiness Tool?
Please save the download somewhere convenient you can later find it as we may well need it again later. Save you a second download :)
Also please be aware that the tool can take up to an hour (very occasionally even longer) to complete. Please be patient.
Once it has completed, please zip up and upload C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log.

Thank you!

Richard

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

Yes, I'm a bit weird :P

#4 djxpress

djxpress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

Here you go.  Thanks!

Once it has completed, please zip up and upload C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log.

Thank you!

Richard

Attached Files

#5 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

Hello again :)

Thanks a lot for that log. You did it perfectly.

I am just about to go out for a couple of hours, and will post a fix to you on my return. It still looks perfectly fixable :)

I just want to quickly mention these two entries, however:

(f)	CBS MUM Corrupt	0x00000000	servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum		Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~10.2.9200.16437.mum does not match the actual file name
(f)	CBS MUM Corrupt	0x00000000	servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum		Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~10.2.9200.16437.mum does not match the actual file name

These are caused by IE10. There is a bug in how SURT handles the naming convention used by these files. In fact, this exact naming convention has never been used before, hence this bug has only now reared its head.

What I am trying to say is that these are nothing to worry about. Every IE10 user has these errors in their logfile, and it does not mean there is any corruption. In fact, fixing them will introduce a corruption!

Microsoft is aware of this issue, and I hope for a fix eventually. But for now, the best thing to do is to leave them alone. So please don't be concerned that I ignore them/don't fix them, it is the correct thing to do.

Everything else will get fixed through :)

Richard

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

#6 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:35 AM

Change of plan - I have some free time now, so let's do it now :)

WARNING: This fix has been created specifically for this user. If you are not this user, do not follow these instructions as you may cause serious harm to your computer.

First, please download the script from here and save it to your Desktop: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9t3qybjxoxuyand/SFCFixScript.zip
Then download a copy of SFCFix.exe from here: http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe, and also save it to your Desktop.
Single click on SFCFixScript.zip and drag and drop it on top of SFCFix.exe. SFCFix will open and perform a fix.
A logfile called SFCFix.txt will open (and be saved to your Desktop). Please copy and paste the report into your next reply.

Next, re-run the System Update Readiness Tool and post a new C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log file.

Thank you!

Richard

#7 djxpress

djxpress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

Not sure what the SFCFix did as I looked at the log and it doesn't show much, but here is the zipped log anyways.

New Checksur.log to follow!

Attached Files

Edited by djxpress, 03 April 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#8 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Not sure what the SFCFix did as I looked at the log and it doesn't show much, but here is the zipped log anyways.

New Checksur.log to follow!

Something went wrong. SFCFix didn't receive the script file for some reason. You can't just run the .exe, you have to drag and drop the script file on top of the .exe file.

Please ensure that SURT has finished running, and then:

Ensure that both SFCFixScript.zip and SFCFix.exe are situation on your Desktop. Single click on SFCFixScript.zip, drag it over the SFCFix.exe program, and release. Then the script will be processed.

Good luck!

Richard

#9 djxpress

djxpress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

Is this SFC Fix log better?  I thought I was to unpack the SFCFixScript.zip before dropping the unpacked folder on the SFCFix.exe.  This time I just dropped the whole .zip file on the SFCFix.exe.

If this log is better, I will rerun the System Update Readiness Tool and post the new CheckSUR.log file

Attached Files

#10 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

Is this SFC Fix log better?  I thought I was to unpack the SFCFixScript.zip before dropping the unpacked folder on the SFCFix.exe.  This time I just dropped the whole .zip file on the SFCFix.exe.

If this log is better, I will rerun the System Update Readiness Tool and post the new CheckSUR.log file

No, something still went wrong, although this log is better. It will be really obvious when it has worked, there will be lots of writing between the header and footer.

I will have a think about this, but you correctly dropped the .zip file on (yes, you need to drop the whole .zip file on, very sorry for not making that clear first time round), so that was fine.

But for some reason, it couldn't process the script inside the .zip file. Did the file download OK? Did you get a full 15,411,328 bytes of it?

Please have one more try, with a fresh download of the SFCFixScript.zip file. If it still doesn't work this time around, I will post you a manual alternative when I get home in a couple of hours time (not using SFCFix at all).

Richard

#11 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

I need to leave town for two days, so I will give you the alternative now before I go should SFCFix continue to not play the game. You are fortunate the manual method for this script is simple :P

Download my above script, but this time open it up.

Copy WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-UIComp~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~7.6.7600.256.cat and WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-UIComp~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~7.6.7600.256.mum to C:\Windows\temp\CheckSUR\servicing\Packages.

Copy amd64_microsoft-windows-u..oyment-languagepack_31bf3856ad364e35_7.1.7601.16492_bg-bg_83b9619cd9345dcf.manifest to C:\Windows\temp\CheckSUR\winsxs\Manifests\

Now navigate to the C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_nv_lh.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_4a5c7d78e486512b\ folder, right click on it and select Properties.
Under the Security tab, click Advanced.
Under the Owner tab, click Edit.
Click "Other Users and Groups".
Click Advanced.
Click "Find Now".
Scroll down and double click on Everyone.
Click OK THREE times.
Click on the Permissions tab.
Under type Deny, single click on any entries and click Remove. (N.B.: There may not be any Deny entries, in which case just ignore this step. Just remove any that do exist)
Click OK.
Click Edit (now on the standard file Property window under the Security tab).
Click Add.
Click Advanced.
Click "Find Now".
Scroll down and double click on Everyone.
Click OK.
Single click on Everyone and then tick the "Full Control" box under Allow.
Click OK TWO times.

Now copy the six otherwise unused files starting with the letters nv from my script into this folder.

Finally:

Navigate back to the C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_nv_lh.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_4a5c7d78e486512b\ folder, right click on it and select Properties.
Under the Security tab, click Advanced.
Click on the Permissions tab (should be the default tab).
Click Change Permissions
Select and click Remove onthe ALLOW: Everyone entryyou just added.
Click OK.
Go to Owner tab.
Click Edit.
Click "Other Users and Groups".
Paste in "NT Service\TrustedInstaller". If this fails (it will be obvious if it fails) use "SYSTEM" instead.
Click OK.
Put the check in "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".
Click Yes on any message boxes which pop-up.
Click Continue on any Access is Denied messages.
Click OK out of the final message box.
Click OK out of everything.

Now re-run the System Update Readiness Tool and post a new log.

Richard

P.S. I am sure you can now see why I use SFCFix when possible. Believe me, this is about as simple as it gets - you don't want to know what it is like manually fixing some of the harder corruptions!

Edited by niemiro, 03 April 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#12 djxpress

djxpress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

Here CBS folder after doing the above

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.zip   5.69KB   2 downloads

Edited by djxpress, 03 April 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#13 djxpress

djxpress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

I ran Windows Update, and it seems to be working - so far so good!  Thanks!

#14 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

Looks amazing! I have just re-checked your logs, and everything is good. Nothing more needs doing, and you are free to go. Enjoy your nicely fixed up Windows Update!

Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users