Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Install Win98 Se

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 buck65

buck65

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:18 AM

A friend of mine gave her old computer. It had windows installed and seem to work ok, untill I formatted the hard drive. now Windows won't install, it just freezes when it "scanning system registry". Scanreg won't work. Error in Scanreg.exe. And if I don't use the switch "/is" with setup it says scandisk.exe can't be found or is damaged, but when I type scandisk it runs, and says there are no errors. Any Ideas, N E 1? Thanks to all for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:37 AM

Does the CD have any scratches?
Have you run a dianostic test on the hard drive to see if it is damaged?
Run a stand alone memory test on the computer. If the RAM is bad it will corrupt the files. Either of these will do...

Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"
MicroSoft's Memory Test
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 buck65

buck65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:05 PM

Hi acklan, Thanks for the quick reply. I Dl'ed MS Memory Test and it came back with no errors. Any other ideas anything is helpfull. Thanks alot for your time.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:32 PM

Have you run chkdsk? You can also download, and burn an image of Digtal Dolly to CD. It has the S.M.A.R.T. DRIVE UTILITY. This will anylizie your hard drive for physcial damage.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

CHKDSK can, according to my A+ cram manual, screw up a drive. Quote from the manual:

"CHKDSK is an obsolete program and can wreak total havoc on a Windows 9x computer. Never run this program! Always use SCANDISK or a proven third-party utility."

It goes on to mention how CHKDSK has been resurrected and revised in 2000 and XP.

I heartily agree that it would be good to find S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive. But I lean toward Acklan's first idea, that the CD may have scratches or damage.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:54 AM

While I have used chkdsk for year and never had any ill effects, I will revise my advice and recommend you that you take Herk's advise. He oviously has the formal training. I am not familar with the A+ manual.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:19 AM

No, Acklan, I don't have formal training. The A+ manual is a cram manual for taking the A+ test for entry level techs. There are quite a number of manuals like that. Usually, when you try to run chkdsk in 98, a warning will pop up advising you to use Scandisk instead. (IIRC!)

From this page:
TIP: ScanDisk performs the functions of the DOS CHKDSK utility, eliminating the need to use CHKDSK. If you run CHKDSK, it will execute and produce a report about your drive, will not fix any error, but will print an advisory note on program termination that ScanDisk does a better job of detecting and fixing a wider range of disk problems.

I had read that bit about not using chkdsk earlier in the day, so I was able to find it very quickly. Some people are still recommending that you can use chkdsk instead of scandisk, but the folks who put together the A+ manual are very experienced IT techs who have written a number of other manuals as well, and I tend to believe them.

#8 buck65

buck65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for all your help. I have infact ran chkdisk.exe, ignoring what it said about running scandisk instead. It came back with no errors. I just don't understand what could have happenned. All I did was format the drive. Windows should just be able to be installed. What could the problem be. It just stops at scanning system registry. But untill I formatted it ,it worked fine. I would really like to scan the registry but as i mentioned Scanreg won't work. Is there another app. I can get on floppy or something to check the drives? Thanx again for your help people!!! It's much appreciated.

P.S. Where is the system registry stored? Is it possible I errased the registry? I've also tried extracting the setup files from the disc straight to the hard drive, which did work, BUT, when I type setup nothing happens.

Edited by buck65, 07 April 2006 - 11:00 AM.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:09 AM

There is one program you could use to check you phsycal hard drive usig S.M.A.R.T. DRIVE UTILITY. Digtal Dolly (Hard drive utility). Download this to a folder (Digital Dolly), unzip, and burn an image to CD. This is a stand alone utility that does not need an OS to work. It also is free.

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:25 PM

There should be no system registry on your computer to scan if you formatted the drive. Formatting wipes all that information. When you use a startup disk, some files are stored in memory in what's called a Ramdrive, but there should be no files on the hard disk until you install them, including registry.

It might be a good idea to use Digital Dolly to completely wipe the disk for sure. If you start your computer using a boot floppy, you can switch to the C: drive. If it is formatted but no files are installed, you should be able to type:
dir
and enter from the C:\> prompt and it should return "file not found." If you get a list of files, your drive is not formatted.

#11 buck65

buck65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:59 PM

Thankx alot for you advice,I would love to try this digital dolly thing but, unfortunately, I don't have a burner installed on the only good computer I have running! LOL Oh, the hunmanity!! Is there something I can run fron a floppy to make sire the hard drice completely clear. I just tried using EZ os install again and this time it started installing but has been stuck on 9% for the last hour. I think it froze but I'm giving it more time. so close yet so far. Any other ideas? I feel I'm getting closer. Thanx alot!

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:50 PM

PM me your address an I will shoot you a CD via Priorty Mail.

#13 Jazzgirl

Jazzgirl

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:58 PM

You might want to check out www.bootdisk.com and see if they can help. They have bootdisks for just about everything.

JG

#14 buck65

buck65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:03 AM

thanx alot Jazzgirl for the advice. I have been to Bootdisk.com and DL'ed both Win 98se boot disks, one with RAM drive, one without. It just doesn't seem to want to install! I.ve gotten as far as " copying files needed for windows setup" and then nohing! It usually freezes when "scanning system registry" very seldom does it make past that, but has a couple of times. Driving me batty. Why won't it let me install windows when it was already installed, all I did was format it. Really wish I didn't! Thanx again for your help.

Edited by buck65, 09 April 2006 - 10:06 AM.

#15 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:16 AM

It's beginning to sound like a hard drive problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users