Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When you repair a bad sector on a hard drive, what happens to that data?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kjm782

kjm782

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

I have a Seagate hard drive that has some bad sectors and have ordered a new drive to replace it.  I used Seagate's diagnostic software, Seatools, and it successfully "repaired" the bad sector that it found in the long test.  

I understand that the hard drive will ignore that part of the disc going forward and instead will point to another part of the drive.  My question is, what happens to the data that was originally stored on that part of the drive?  Is it copied to the new area of the disc, and if it can't be read would there have been a message telling me that it couldn't be recovered?  I have a lot of pictures, music, spreadsheets, etc. stored on that drive and I'm wondering if it is possible that some of my files are now corrupted?  Is there any way to check?  Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

I can't say for sure what happens with the Seagate diagnostic.  Not sure Seagate is worried about data recovery more than it's concerned with making sure that the bad sectors are not used again.  But the fact that the utility indicates that it "repaired" bad sectors must mean something, so I would guess that it moved/saved whatever data was within bad sectors...but I won't swear that is what happens :).

But chkdsk /r will attempt to move the file data to a good location,while also marking the disk sectors as bad.

Louis

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

As Louis is saying. If You have a bad sector, run chkdsk /r to get the data moved first or Do a full backup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK

Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /f and /p). Unreadable data is lost. If CHKDSK cannot lock the volume, it offers to check it the next time the computer starts.

I believe That the Seagate utility just swaps in a good spare sector with not data recovery attempted. Western Digital repair utility does the same thing.  Hence that is why I always suggest to backup before doing a repair with it. If the bad sector is in the wrong spot it could lead to data loss. IMO

Edited by rotor123, 01 April 2013 - 09:01 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 kjm782

kjm782
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the replies.  Since I've already done the repair is there a way to know exactly which files are affected?  (In other words which files had bits stored on that part of the disc?)  I'm running Windows 7.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

I don't know of any way to tell what if any files are affected. It may have been in a unused part of the drive. In which case nothing would be affected.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users