Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really need help to update Adobe Reader

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lovredwood

lovredwood

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

Windows XP Pro, HP Pavilion, IE8, McAfee.   Some years ago I wanted a newer version of Adobe Reader. It wouldn't download which seemed a common problem and I did a few suggested things and - don't hate me - not sure exactly what but since it wouldn't update I found an early version that would:  Reader 5.  Now I seem stuck with it - not a great problem for what I use this computer for but notice that some files no longer download because they need newer version of Reader. 

I think Reader 8 (needed for TurboTax) would keep me going for some years to come and accomodate those few times a newer version is needed, but it is no longer on the Adobe site and free "versions" of it online don't make me feel it would be safe to get that way.  Question:  are those free downloads of fake Reader 8 safe?    Or is downloading 9 (still available) easy and really trouble free from the Adobe site and that's a good way to go (I'd try this)?   Adobe still has problems downloading as I have read on some forums and don't want to uninstall 5 if I'm left without anything at all.  I know this isn't cutting edge, but some of us just keep using what works.  Any help at all appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 01 April 2013 - 01:32 PM.
Moved from XP to Business Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zzz7

zzz7

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Why even use Adobe at all........it's very insecure?

There are alternative readers like Nitro and Foxit.

http://www.nitroreader.com/

Edited by zzz7, 01 April 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

Hi -

Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.

* If the program seems to stall, it is just gathering information and will finish in a few minutes
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Thank You -

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:19 AM

You can try PDF-Xchange Viewer from tracker-software as an excellent alternative.

www.tracker-software.com to find what they have available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users