Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings to the team from a grateful musician!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 theviolinman

theviolinman

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

Hi People, I seem to have a bad effect on computers - there is definitely a force out there that scientists have not assimilated into their understanding of the univrse that makes it possible for human beings to inflluence machines without touching them, and to be a magnet fro the evil forces of doom as perpetrated by malware scanners. I seem to be such a person, though I am not aware that my influence extends beyond my own purchased products. I am so impressed at what you (as foar as I'm concerned) SUPERHEROS do and am praying for a happy ending.

Cheers all and may the force be with you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

Hi, :welcome: to Bleeping Computer

Regards
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 theviolinman

theviolinman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:00 AM

Dear Roger,

Mant thanks for your reply to me greeting. As I am brand new to 'the world of the Forum' I am more than a little lost on this site! I have a very severe problem with a computer. I am not as yet able to see how to post this problem correctly and hope you wil assist. To explain:

The title it needs as a heading is

FBI Ransomware infection (latest UK version) If you could either redirect this or explain to me how to do so myself I'd be most grateful.

I am not an expert, but the guy who helps me with my IT has told me to give you the following information:

The PC infected  is a Dell Vostro 1700 running XP Pro SP3, which has been hijacked by the UK "Kent Police" version of the FBI Ransomware infection. This is the version that in Safe Mode puts up a white screen before any useful action can be taken.

There is an extra complication you need to be aware of on this PC: there is a separate system partition which just contains NTDETECT.COM, ntldr, and boot.ini, providing the option to boot to the main (infected) partition, or a spare boot partition, also running XP but with different apps installed for occasional use.

The main boot partition containing MS Office etc. is now unusably infected, but the PC will still boot to the alternative XP partition. However, because the trojan hides itself so well, from the usable spare partition, no anti-malware stuff (including MalwareBytes) can find any problem when scanning the the infected boot partition (or the system partition, although presumably no infection here because it still allows the second option boot).

Because the system partition is separate from the infected boot partition, HitmanPro's usually effective Kickstart can't be used because it only seems to work with a common system & boot partition.

I'd be grateful for any help you can give me regarding this and also how to direct my posts accurately to the correct area of the forum without inconveniencing others.

Many thanks in advance,

theviolinman

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:50 AM

Welcome violinman, I noticed your post, since my Dad was a violinist.

I'd suggest posting the information you gave above, with the title you mention, into a new topic in the Am I Infected forum:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

In due course a helper will respond, please be patient as there is usually a queue needing assistance, and a skilled helper for your infection will need to become available.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

I see that Platypus beat me to it, Again :)

So I'll just say Good Luck with Your problem.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users