Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Occasional Corrupt files on SSD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 40wnks

40wnks

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

Over the last 4-6 weeks, I randomly get a message saying some file (not always the same) is corrupt and that I need to sign in as administrator and reinstall blah-blah. I then run CHKDSK and everything is fine. Earlier on, during boot, the  would CHKDSK run through all my files occasionally.  I built this computer over 2 years ago with an OCZ Revo drive (128mb) PCI express as my boot drive.  No bad sectors have been found.  Is this SSD trying to crash or is there something else going on.  Running Windows 7, I have a 1TB drive use for other programs.  The OCZ is about 1/2 full. 

Thanks,

Bill (40wnks)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

IMO...corrupt files are routine...happens all the time for varying reasons.

When files are in bad sectors, the chkdsk /r command can try to move the files to sectors which are not bad and create no problems.

Running the chkds /r command on a 1TB drive...will probably take close to 3 hours, normally.

If you have programs on the 1TB drive...perhaps that's the drive that you should be concerned about, not the drive reflecting Windows.

If it were me...I'd follow up running chkdsk /r with diagnostic (long/extended test) on the 1TB drive.

Louis

#3 40wnks

40wnks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

I will do that, thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis