Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Giving Google & Yahoo my phone number

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:03 AM

For awhile, Gmail kept nagging me about providing my number in order to activate "two-step verification."  Now it's back to just asking for it in case something happens to my account, which is what Yahoo has been whining about all along.  I know all my information is "out there," but I don't think it's a good idea to hand any one entity all my information.

Also, an increasing number of websites are inviting me to sign in using Facebook.  It would certainly make life easier, but so far I've been registering with each site individually, to keep FB from knowing everything I look at and comment on.

Should I keep up this show of information-guarding, or is it just wishful thinking that it might make a difference? :busy:

thanks!

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zzz7

zzz7

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Never give any personal info out on the web...........ever!

Use a throwaway email addy for any sites that require one.

#3 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Is that regarding my second question, about registering on different sites via Facebook? 

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:41 AM

Regarding the Gmail or Google verification for additional security http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=175197 which is most likely the same with Yahoo. Personally, I've used that added security. The second question might refer to Facebook Ads which is just normal on some websites which is invasive advertising.

Tekken

#5 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:45 AM

Yes, for awhile Gmail kept talking about how everyone should use this added security option.  It would be a major pain for me, since I don't have a mobile device & can't get text messages (so I'd have to receive a phone call and write down my code each time I signed in.  Seriously?).  I may have made some setting saying to stop bugging me about it; I don't remember.  Yahoo was just saying how it would be a great back-up way to sign-in.  (It also keeps telling me to make a sign-in seal, then screws up when I try to make one)

jhayz, you say that you've used the two-step verification before.  It sounds like you're not anymore.  Have you switched to another domain (or whatever the appropriate term is)?

The Facebook sign-ins are for places like Huffington Post.  If you want to comment, it says "do you want to sign-in using your FB account, or go through the trouble of creating a separate account just for our site?"  It would be much easier to just use FB, instead of keeping track of a bunch of different, infrequently used usernames & passwords.

#6 Special Techie

Special Techie

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

You can give your information to Gmail to verify.

But when it comes to Facebook - 

Don't login with your Facebook account into any website unless it is a trustworthy.

Like you said, even though it is a trustworthy website like Huffington Post, if you comment using Facebook it will be displayed on your timeline and everyone can see that.

Some websites will take advantage of your FB account and post some links on the wall instead of you. 

#7 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

Thanks, Special Techie.  That confirms my suspicions about Facebook log-ins.  I guess I'm stuck registering with each site & keeping track of those passwords.  But the passwords to sites like that probably don't have to be that strong, or different from one another, I would think.  As long as they are different from anything that I really value?

There are certainly a lot of password management applications.  Are any of them safe to use?  The whole idea just seems incredibly bad.  There was one that sounded pretty good, though, using some key that wouldn't be difficult for the user to remember.

I only use my computers at home, so I just store my info in them, although it's a bit hard to find & takes some figuring out when found.  (Perhaps even that's too much info!)

#8 Special Techie

Special Techie

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

When i am registering into some websites, i use same username and passwords. Even though it is not a good practise , it's easy for me to log in whenever it's required. 

I never used any password management tools. And like i said we can trust some products which are developed by authority websites. 

But you are using different password, which is very difficult to remember. What you can do is, make a list of them.

#9 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:58 AM

I have gotton this BS on Yahoo also (I just click OK w/o entering anything)

#10 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:11 AM

Both of your solutions sound good to me!

4dude, do you keep having to sign in each time you visit, and does it tell you to make a seal, and then when you've gone through all the steps, say that the seal can't be made??  I only keep it to have a secondary address, one to give to all those websites that I don't use FB sign-ins for!

Edited by pantherapardus4, 04 April 2013 - 03:14 AM.

#11 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:46 AM

I logout everytime so yes i have to login each!!

No luckily it doesnt bother me abnout creating a seal (Im glad it doesnt)

I tell ya,things are very intrusive now!

#12 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

srsly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users