Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

YAHOO and GOOGLE email in Android

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hitpro

hitpro

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

i want to set up my email accounts on my cell phone so that ALL of them can be checked from one place when i'm on the road. what are the disadvantages to checking my yahoo and gmail accounts on my android cell phone? my fears are:

1- that a hacker will be able to access the accounts and do a number of things(in which changing my password would be the WORST); and

2- my cell phone provider being able to check my internet history and see what accounts i have. (i have a number of Yahoo and Gmail accounts)

questions:

1- is (1) possible?

2- is (2) possible? this is not too big of a deal. it's just that i'm very private and sort of a "conspiracy theorist" :) . or am i just paranoid :rolleyes: ? i don't want my carrier knowing anything xtra about me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

To answer your questions.

#1. It's possible yes. It can happen whether you access the email on your phone or computer. Accessing it from your phone does not necessarily make your email more vulnerable. Thats the reason for secure passwords.

#2, How would your wireless provider view your browsing history? Your communication is raw machine data, where would they access it? Add to that they would need a warrant and you would know.

If you're that worried about browsing history use a mail client or app to view your mail and it won't give a browsing history.

Yahoo Mail app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.mail&hl=en

Your android already has gmail just add accounts within the app. Also you can add the widget and choose your accounts. Lots of information about multiple gmail accounts on android all over the web.

I'm not even going to touch the conspiracy theorist angle because if you go that route you wouldn't care what I said. You already have your own opinion away. But it's not as cloak and dagger and big brother as some have theorized. Yes the ones and zero's are all over the ether. But compiling them to usable identifiable data is an entirely different matter. Not as easy from a random standpoint as some would lead you to believe.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users