Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Problems with external HDD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wjason777

wjason777

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

I have a western digtal My Book 3tb hdd. When I save files to it and try to and try to move those files to another computer i get this error message  " Cannot Read From the Source File or Disk" .

Do anyone what this problem could be? Do I need to take this hard Drive back and exchange it? Or could this be a simple fix?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zzz7

zzz7

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Could be some bad sectors on the disk. Open a command prompt window by going to Start, then selecting Run. Type in 'cmd' (no quotes) and hit enter. Type in 'chkdsk : /f' depending on the drive you want to scan. So if I wanted to do my C drive it'd be 'chkdsk c: /f'. It'll scan the disk, locate any bad sectors and mark them as unusable. You shouldn't get the error after that. If there are no errors detected then there may be a problem with the file you're trying to copy. Copy it to a location on your internal hard drive first, then copy it to the external drive.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

wjason777, is this the same laptop that gringo_pr is helping you clean out the infections?  If it is you shouldn't make any changes to your computer unless your are instructed to do so by gringo_pr.

zzz7, chkdsk /r will do the same thing that chkdsk /f will do, but it will also attempt to retrieve data from bad sectors.  

If this computer is running Vista or Windows 7 you should run this scan as the administrator.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png , type in cmd in the Search programs and files box.  When cmd is seen in Programs right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in chkdsk c:/r then press Enter.

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

Edited by dc3, 01 April 2013 - 04:58 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

No this is a external that I use on my desktop only.

#5 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

Ok the Drive is not being recognized anymore, I cant see it in My Computer

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

Have you tried using a different USB port?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

Yes tested using different usb ports, still samething.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users