Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE10 and local files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EarlyOut

EarlyOut

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

I recently installed IE10 on two Win7 machines, and even with a "default reset," when I open a local page (like C:\Documents\index.html), it refuses to load a simple linked stylesheet.

The console error message is: SEC7113: CSS was ignored due to mime type mismatch

This is puzzling, inasmuch as there is no MIME type involved - this page is not being opened from a server or from localhost.

I've hunted through the security settings, but nothing seems to change the behavior.

Here's a simple test case. Save this HTML as index.html in a folder on your PC:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
<title>Basic</title>
<link href="common.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
</head>
<body>
<p>This text should be red.</p>
</body>
</html>

Now save this CSS in the same folder, as common.css:

body {
    color: red;
}

Open index.html with Firefox or Chrome - red text, right? But if I open it with IE10, the text is black - the common.css file is not being loaded. I'm seeing exactly the same problem on a Win7/64 desktop machine and on an aging little Win7/32 netbook.

Anyone have a clue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

From what I see...this is not a Win 7 problem...but a coding problem that does not relate to merely Windows or a particular O/S..

http://www.google.com/search?q=SEC7113%3A+CSS+was+ignored+due+to+mime+type+mismatch%0D%0A%0D%0A&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7ADFA_enUS403#hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us%3AIE-ContextMenu&rlz=1I7ADFA_enUS403&sclient=psy-ab&q=how+to+fix+sec7113+css+was+ignored+due+to+mime+type+mismatch&oq=SEC7113:+CSS+was+ignored+due+to+mime+type+mismatch&gs_l=serp.1.1.0j0i22i30.3547.3547.1.8297.1.1.0.0.0.0.140.140.0j1.1.0...0.0...1c.1.7.psy-ab.dRfI7IeVNuw&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=ed20a9cca82e6108&biw=1280&bih=759

Louis

#3 EarlyOut

EarlyOut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

Virtually all of those threads involve an incorrect MIME type because of a server misconfiguration. The solutions all point to .htaccess changes, Apache changes, and so on.

The error I'm seeing doesn't involve a server at all. There is no .htaccess. There is no Apache. This is simply a local file.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

Sorry...I can only give you what I think may be pertinent :).  Feel free to await input by others.

Louis

#5 EarlyOut

EarlyOut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

I found it!

It's OK to use the Control Panel "Default Programs / Associate a file type..." to set .css files to be opened by Notetab Light (my favorite general-purpose text editor). However, if you go into Notetab Light itself and choose View, Options, Associations, and add css to the list, this generates the error I've been seeing.

Apparently, this is producing a registry entry that causes IE10 to be unable to open a local CSS file when it's called from an HTML page. IE9 wasn't afflicted by this (I never had a problem before, and I've been using Notetab Light for ages).

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Feedback appreciated...happy computing :).

Louis

#7 EarlyOut

EarlyOut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

I figured it was a good idea to post my happy discovery in a bunch of places so that the next poor bastard who Googles about it will have a decent chance of finding it! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users