Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Silly question about headphones

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jiggity

Jiggity

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

Hello, I recently bought a headset for my computer. The headset only has one plug - I can't use themfor speaking or listening to something at the same time, I can either only talk into them, or listen in for music, but I'm looking to do both. It seems like it would be simple to solve but I'm having difficulty, I'll plug the headset into the one socket in my computer and I can listen, but again, can't talk, and vice versa with the other. I get prompted to fix this but I've yet to find a solution at the moment. Any help here is greatly appreciated, I've been at this for a little bit now and have had no luck.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

Make and model of the headset? Is there an adapter or accessory you're missing? I have seen this before where you need an accessory for dual port mic/speaker use.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Jiggity

Jiggity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

I'm not the best with computers (I threw out the headset box before I actually used it... bad idea, eh?) - I think I probably will need an accessory but not positive. Is there a way I can pull up the make of the head set once I plug it in? I'm using windows 8 if it helps.

#4 Jiggity

Jiggity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

I use this computer for gaming, I have Ventrilo set up and I can't speak into it, I get an error message that says:

Unable to activate DirectSound for selected device.
DirectSoundCaptureCreate failed.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

I don't have Windows 8 and I don't think you can get an external device's model number. Make or brand, yes but not a specific model to the best of my knowledge. I never throw away packaging for at least 30 days so I can return it without a major hassle if something goes wrong or I find it a lot cheaper elsewhere in the mean time. Also they some times hide/bury that one little adapter you just knew you wouldn't need when you saw it in the store or on a web page. Nothing like wiping wet slimy garbage off a brand new item to make it work.... :P

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users