Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lithium Batteries Won't Work In Camera?!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:21 PM

Hi my new little toy, a Sony DSC-h1 digital camera, says that it will not take Lithium Ion batteries in the manual. It came with NiMH AA batteries and a charger(separate from camera), but I was wondering about xtra Lithium batteries for backups. As far as I know, both Lithium and NiMH are way better than NiCds, but I thought that the Lithium were even better than NiMH. I have never heard of something taking NiMHs but not Lithiums, maybe not Alkalines in some cameras...

can anyone shed light on this. I guess I could buy some disposable Li batteries to test it, but I'd rather not waste my money. The only reason I could think that they would list this in the manual was to prevent people from charging Li batteries in a NiMH charger (would that matter?)

Also on a side note, can you use NiCd, NiMH and Lithium batteries interchangibly in chargers etc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:57 PM

Hi my new little toy, a Sony DSC-h1 digital camera, says that it will not take Lithium Ion batteries in the manual. It came with NiMH AA batteries and a charger(separate from camera), but I was wondering about xtra Lithium batteries for backups. As far as I know, both Lithium and NiMH are way better than NiCds, but I thought that the Lithium were even better than NiMH. I have never heard of something taking NiMHs but not Lithiums, maybe not Alkalines in some cameras...

Found this info here:
http://www.greenbatteries.com/libafa.html

If my camera (or other electronic device) uses NiMH or NiCd batteries can I use Lithium Ion batteries?

Normally you can not switch between a NiMH or NiCd battery and a lithium ion battery in a digital camera. There are some devices specifically designed to use either type of battery, cell phones are the most common example. If you can use either type of battery, it should say so in the User's Manual.

Also on a side note, can you use NiCd, NiMH and Lithium batteries interchangibly in chargers etc?

Found this info here:
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-educate-batteries.htm

Q: Do NiMH batteries really require a special charger (other than those designed to recharge Ni-Cd batteries, or is that just a marketing ploy by the manufacturers of the chargers? I looked at a charger that has separate settings for both Ni-Cd and Ni-MH batteries, and it appears that the mA output is the same for both settings.

Newer NiMH battery chargers are designed to specifically charge NiMH and NiCD chemistries. However most of the older NiCD chargers were not designed to charge any other battery chemistries such as NiMH since they were unavailable at that time these chargers were designed. That is why many of the newer NiMH/NiCD chargers are capable of automatically charging both types, while others have a switch. There is more than just mA ratings involved when charging different battery chemistries (rate of charge, length of charge, type of charge. etc...) While it is true that some NiCD chargers can be used to charge NiMH batteries you must consider the following points if you decide to attempt to charge your NiMH batteries using an older NiCD charger.

1. Improper charging or using a charger that is not specifically designed to charge any rechargeable battery can cause their useful life to be shortened dramatically or in some cases actually damage them permanently. We have even had some individuals attempt to charge rechargeable alkaline batteries in some of our chargers and were surprised when they exploded.

2. Although a NiCD charger may seem to be charging NiMH batteries fine, this is not usually the case. NiMH chargers are specifically designed to prevent Hydrogen bubbles from forming on the battery plates and of course to charge them to their full potential.

Basically you should always use the type of charger recommended for your type of batteries.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:53 AM

thx, will look those articles over

#4 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:07 AM

ok, I seem to understand now that the camera takes AA cell batteries. Li-ion does not come in AA so it obviously won't work. However do you think that a disposable Li AA cell will be alright? since it should be 1.5v like all AA batteries.

#5 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:22 AM

Lithium batteries do come in AAs. Lithium Ion batteries do not (because they're 3.6v-3.7v).

Do or don't do what the camera manufacturer says!!!

Lithium AAs are 1.5V (and only disposable to the best of my knowledge).
Ni-MH AAs are 1.2V.

So if the manufacturer is saying not to use Lithium batteries don't even consider it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users