Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows-xp-startup-disk

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:52 AM

I do not have my CD for Windows XP.  The computer is booting into safe mode, the way set it before rebooting.  However, it won't start into safe mode and I cannot get it to boot normally.  Even "last known good configuration" won't work.

I need an XP startup disk, but I do not have another XP pc available. 

How can I make one without a pc with the windows XP operating system?

(Yes, I have done a search on the site for windows xp startup, windows startup disk, start up disk, startup disc, start up disc.  I left out the XP because the stupid search engine ignores it.)

Thanks.

Cas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

Is this the same computer you posted about here Is this the same computer you posted about here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/490320/fbi-ransom/?

You mentioned the same thing in the other topic, which was moved to Am I Infected.

If it is the same system we need to know so there will be no conflicting advice given here which would interfere with the help being given in the Am I Infected topic.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 March 2013 - 08:16 AM.

#3 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

So, I won't get help again, right?  It does not matter whether or not it is the same pc.  I am certain that there are many others wondering the same dam thing and would like an answer.  If it is only posted in the "am i infected", they won't find an answer, will they?

All I asked was how to make a boot cd or disc.  Not an installation disk, just a disk that will boot the pc to windows.

Why?  Because I followed the advice of the column and now my pc will not boot into anything because the advice was to use msconfig to reboot the pc into safe mode.  Well, not it won't boot into anything because it refuses to boot into safe mode.

So, for anyone who will actually return to read this: how do I make a cd or floppy that will boot my pc into Windows XP?

Edited by Cassiopeia, 31 March 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

You will get help here at Bleeping Computer. We just need to know if both topics are about the same computer. If they are the help will be given in your Am I Infected topic. It's much easier when everything concerning an issue is kept in one place.

The question remains is this the same computer?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Those of us here who respond to topics have had experience with members who have posted multiple topics regarding the same computer in the same time period.  These topics may not be the same in these topics, but the end result is always the same... confusion.  If you have two topics open with just two different people responding they will be looking at two different aspects.  If one suggests changes and they are made this may effect what the other person is trying to accomplish and won't be aware of why this is happening... confusion.

What Queen Evie is trying to do is to avoid this confusion, you will benefit from this. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,616 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

You may not think it matters whether or not it's the same pc, but as mentioned, to us with experience it does matter. Many times when troubleshooting a computer problem we get confusing feedback since different problems can have different interpretations and our intent is to sort out or at least know what's going on in order to reach a good solution when possible.

So now to your intent in this post: how to make a boot cd or disc?

--- That doesn't have an easy answer. There is supposed to be way to create an XP ISO image on another computer but more information is needed to find out what might apply to you

--- However try ebay

------ Here's one for XP Home but search around in case they have one for your computer model

------ BTW, these are essentially ISO images which eliminates the neccessity for you to figure out how to creat one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-XP-Home-Complete-Repair-Recovery-Re-Install-Disc-Set-Drivers-Tools-/251220537597?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7de930fd#ht_4462wt_993

Check out SpotMau. It costs a few dollars but at least you have access to technical support if you need it http://www.spotmau.com/products/package/full.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=Boot:%2BStartup%20Disk-WinXP&utm_campaign=PSG_SS_Pid(809)_US_BM

Now for some additional information on trying to keep information available for the same computer

In one of your other posts you mention: I will find someplace else to get help

--- Please note I'm (as well many others will do if allowed to) taking the time & patience to see what we can be done so please take the time to understand that

--- All you had to do in your original post is say something like "I prefer to get a boot cd or disc instead of going through these hassles" or something like that and the swing would have been easy enough

You mention in a prior thread in post #3: "Why?  Because I followed the advice of the column and now my pc will not boot into anything because the advice was to use msconfig to reboot the pc into safe mode.  Well, not it won't boot into anything because it refuses to boot into safe mode"

--- I have no idea what that means without searching around

In your previous post you stated that safe mode didn't work for you at least that's the way I recall it without going back to double check exactly was posted

--- But the BSOD error message was never acquired and maybe one of us could have helped with a more direct answer with that information at that time

--- You might not be interested in going that far on it and that's ok if you decided all you want to do now is make a boot cd or disc

----- However, I had to double check 2 different messages to understand what's going on

--- Why? Because most of us are troubleshooters and can hesitate to answer just a question without some history or background especially since it might have been possible to goiing through the hassle of acquiring boot cd or disc 

--- Naturally by now it appears that acquiring boot cd or disc does make sense but personally without knowing more I would recommend a full fresh install and you can get XP discs from ebay or maybe even the manufacturer

#7 jdthomas

jdthomas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Really?  You are giving Cas a rash of crap for posting TWO DIFFERENT TOPICS IN TWO DIFFERENT ARENA?  Really?  I was told this site was of no use, so I use tomshardware for my problems.  However, I noticed a post from her today, so I chose to sign up with you just to let you know that treating someone this way is NOT THE WAY TO TREAT PEOPLE!

Her topics differ greatly, so there should be two different topics.  As for "waste of time responding to both": how?  One is about one thing; the other is about another.

If you are going to be jerks, do it on someone else's time.  Do you know why Cas posts so much here?  Because Cas helps people with their computers who cannot afford to take it to Best Buy or someother ripoff place or cannot afford to replace them.  Cas is doing a service for peple and you treat Cas as though Cas were incompetent.  (Not sure if Cas is male or female.)

Thanks for making a disabled Vet fell worthless.

James

#8 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hello Cassiopeia,

All I asked was how to make a boot cd or disc. Not an installation disk, just a disk that will boot the pc to windows.

Unfortunately, that is not possible. If your Windows installation cannot boot normally, then there is a problem with it. Windows needs a disk partition and a registry loaded to run from.

We can use tools so that you can access your hard drive, such as creating a boot disk: http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm#71

...Or use your installation CD, but that still will not load Windows.

==========

Please let us know what you are trying to do, then we can formulate a plan of action. Are you just trying to obtain information from the original disk (pics, documents...etc.), or do you want your machine working normally again?

==========

If your windows installation cannot boot by itself, then it is either corrupt, or infected. I would assume that the machine is infected.

There are many ways to fix this, but we need the correct path to take.
  • If you need to recover data from the disk in question, please let us know.
  • If you'd like your computer to boot normally again, please let us know.
Please let us know what is happening with your machine currently, and what you would like to do with this machine...then we can give the proper steps on the solution.

==========

I have provided you with a link above to create a boot disk with XP. If you need more information, or if you think your machine is infected, please post back with that information.

Just try and give us some detailed information about what is wrong, and what you are trying to do. We will be happy to help you! :)

bloopie

Edited by bloopie, 31 March 2013 - 06:02 PM.

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,616 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:07 AM

James thank you for your perspective and I apologize since I probably went too far on what I was trying to cover

Many times I've been asked what appears to be a simple question but the answer isn't as simple as this or that 

I wish I could count how many times I've been told why does that matter, all I want to do is what I asked for but along the way a simple answer also brings along other "gotchas"

Also please do not feel worthless, I'm a vet myself and I have a disability and I can sense how you feel believe me

Cas you can always count on us for help and bloopie post is an excellent example

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,616 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:13 AM

Hello cas, I hope you are doing well with bloopie's recommendations as I am sincerely hopefull for a resolution for you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users