Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screens upon startup have me baffled

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 1940LaSalle

1940LaSalle

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

Here's the situation: we're talking about an HP Pavilion laptop.  Until about a week ago, all had been normal.  Then, with no warning, just after startup, I get a blue screen telling me that an attempt was made to write to read-only memory (can't quote the entire screen; far too lengthy and transient).  It then dumps the memory and re-starts.  Upon re-start I'm offered a choice between trying to repair or start normally.  The former is futile since I get messages saying startup repair is not possible.  The latter leads to another blue screen that says "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"...whatever that might mean.  That is followed by another dump and the cycle begins again.

I've tried starting in safe mode without networking or anything else.  That gets me a list of Windows files loading, followed by that second blue screen described above, a memory dump, and an automatic re-start, so that avenue is closed.

So: what do I do now?  Am I right in guessing that about all I can do is wipe the hard drive completely and install from scratch?  And is there some way to wipe the registry as well so the system is completely clean?  (I'm not worried about what files might be on this machine: it's a second machine used for travel and whatnot, so there's nothing remotely critical here.)

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

FWIW:  The Windows registry...is part of Windows.  If you delete the current Windows partition, that will remove everything on it.

Since this is a HP laptop, using the system manufacturer's restore-to-factory-defaults option will be equal to a clean install, with the exception that the system will reflect all program installed when you acquired it.

Louis

#3 1940LaSalle

1940LaSalle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

OK...I suppose.  If I interpret that correctly, it appears that this is agreement-of sorts-with my thoughts that I ought to wipe the existing hard drive and start over, but that's not clear to me.  Then again, maybe I'm simply being obtuse/wanting explicit answers.  Also, I don't know how to either restore factory defaults (this is what I'll call a legacy machine and I don't have the original discs) or how to wipe a given partition.  Some help along those lines-the more explicit the better!-would be most useful.  Thanks.

#4 1940LaSalle

1940LaSalle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

Just uncovered a new observation: it seems that if I manage to get this laptop to boot into Windows, all I need to do is touch a key (makes no difference which one, apparently) and that triggers immediately the second blue screen; that is, the one with "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".  I'm wondering now if there's a hardware problem related to the keyboard that's behind all of this?  Thanks.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link.  Do not copy/paste data from the report.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users