Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Information Error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Bitchen

Mr. Bitchen

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

Hi there.  In my XP Pro System Information application, it tells me I still have a Dual Port Server card installed when it's been gone from my computer for months.  Can I erase this entry from the System Information window?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

May be a bug, or one-time glitch. Try heading into device manager and check if it's still there. If it's there, uninstall it, or disable it.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#3 Mr. Bitchen

Mr. Bitchen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Thank you for your reply.  I had tried that first.  It's not there.  I ran through the registry and found at least 25 instances that could very well be the problem, reflecting the device I.D., but I'm not about to delete anything from the registry if I'm not almost 100% sure.

#4 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thank you for your reply.  I had tried that first.  It's not there.  I ran through the registry and found at least 25 instances that could very well be the problem, reflecting the device I.D., but I'm not about to delete anything from the registry if I'm not almost 100% sure.

Download something like CCleaner, and use the registry cleaner therein and make a backup while doing so(i.e. when you click "Fix..." after scanning for issues, a dialog will popup asking if you want to backup, agree and save it somewhere) and all should be fine.

Alternatively, if you're paranoid, since the guys at BC don't really recommend registry cleaners, you can show me those registry entries that you suspect and I can confirm/deny.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 31 March 2013 - 11:41 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#5 Mr. Bitchen

Mr. Bitchen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Thank you.

The reason I suspect that they are where the errant entry in Sys Info lies, is because they actually have part of the name of the device in the description(s), plus the I.D. number.  I suppose I'll have to live with it.  It's a lot to type out.  I'm pretty slow. I have a setup file for CCleaner already, so I may try that.

Thank you again.

#6 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Thank you.

The reason I suspect that they are where the errant entry in Sys Info lies, is because they actually have part of the name of the device in the description(s), plus the I.D. number.  I suppose I'll have to live with it.  It's a lot to type out.  I'm pretty slow. I have a setup file for CCleaner already, so I may try that.

Thank you again.

Well, then it's most probably those entries, you can try clearing them out(after making a backup). Or just use CCleaner. Also, you can just copy/paste, no need to type it out.  :P

:)

SYSTEM SPECS.

#7 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hello Mr.B,

You can also take a screenshot with regedit open and post the entries in question.

It would also be wise to make a registry backup and also create a new restore point before doing any dirty work in the registry.

==========

To create a backup:

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
  • http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Open Erunt.exe (use the shortcut on your desktop if you used the installer). Follow the prompts leaving the values at default.

bloopie

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

<<Download something like CCleaner, and use the registry cleaner therein...>>

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.  Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry :

“The Windows registry stores all application settings in one logical repository (but a number of discrete files) and in a standardized form.  The registry contains important configuration information for the operating system, for installed applications as well as individual settings for each user and application. A careless change to the operating system configuration in the registry could cause irreversible damage, so it is usually only installer programs which perform changes to the registry database during installation/configuration and removal.  If a user wants to edit the registry manually, Microsoft recommends that a backup of the registry is performed before the change.  Editing the registry is sometimes necessary when working around Windows-specific issues e.g. problems when logging onto a domain can be resolved by editing the registry.  The Windows registry can be edited manually using programs such as regedit.exe, although these tools do not expose some of registry's metadata such as the last modified date.”

Put simply, the Windows registry is a central repository of information about all aspects of the

computer - in particular, its hardware, operating system, applications and users.

More per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner  :

“A registry cleaner is a class of third party software utility designed for the Microsoft Windows operating system, whose purported purpose is to remove redundant items from the Windows registry.

Registry cleaners are not supported by Microsoft, but vendors of Registry cleaners claim that they are useful to repair inconsistencies arising from manual changes to applications, especially COM-based programs.  The necessity and usefulness of registry cleaners is a controversial topic, with experts in disagreement over their benefits. The problem is further clouded by the fact that malware and scareware are often associated with utilities of this type.

There is a popular misconception that the value of registry cleaning lies in reducing "registry bloat". Even a neglected registry will seldom contain more than two or three thousand redundant entries. Bearing in mind that the modern registry may contain more than a million entries, the elimination of two or three thousand will not save any noticeable amount of scanning time.  Some registry cleaners make no distinction as to the severity of the errors, and many that do may erroneously categorize errors as "critical" with little basis to support it. It.  Removing or changing certain registry data can prevent the system from starting, or cause application errors and crashes

A poorly-designed registry cleaner may not be equipped to know for sure whether a key is still being used by Windows or what detrimental effects removing it may have. This may lead to loss of functionality and/or system instability.  While it is true that some registry cleaners are safe, these cleaners do not improve performance. The rest are a mix of snake-oil, actual malware, or dangerously powerful tools unsuited to non-professionals.”

For the reasons pointed out above and others…BC does not encourage/suggest that any member succumb to verbiage promoting/suggesting …a registry cleaner.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users