Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rundll error. Cant figure it out

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flyswatter888

flyswatter888

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

I have a HP Pavilion desktop with windows 7 64 bit. When I start my computer I get a RunDLL error saying "There was a problem starting C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Local\Temp\" I've done some research but basically all I could find was reboot computer and run anti virus. I've done both. I use Avast and ran a full scan and came up clean. What should I do next?

Also I don't know if this is related or not. On the bottom right where the icon stating my internet status is, the internet one does not work. It says I am disconnected when I am connected to my router. When I plug my Ethernet in, it still says that it is disconnected  I do have internet access though. So I don't know if that is related or not, just trying to add as much detail as I can. This did happen at the same time as the error.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by hamluis, 31 March 2013 - 10:21 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:48 AM

Hi -

This can be caused by several things, and the first thing to do is a quick Antimalware Scan -

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

Update both programs prior to doing a quick scan with both of them. Be sure to remove all items found in the scans, as they are usually infections or unwanted items. If you already have either of these programs installed, always be sure to check for updates if you are going to do a scan -

Copy and paste the scan reports back here when they are finished -

Only once these programs are both finished -

Remove temporary and junk files
To clean out your temporary internet files and temp files.
Download TFC by OldTimer from HERE to your desktop.

Double-click TFC.exe to run it.

Note: If you are running on Vista / Windows7, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator

TFC will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
* Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
* Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.Once TFC is finished it should restart your computer. If it does not, please manually reboot the computer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning.

Thank You -

#3 flyswatter888

flyswatter888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:58 AM

Ok this is the malwarebytes log:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.70.0.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.03.31.01

Windows 7 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Jason :: JASON-HP [administrator]

3/31/2013 8:46:22 PM
MBAM-log-2013-03-31 (20-55-35).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 237732
Time elapsed: 8 minute(s), 49 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 1
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run|C2onnF4pH5sJ7E88234A (Trojan.FakeAlert.CLGen) -> Data: C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Roaming\iJ7ddEL8RZqhX\AV Security 2012v121.exe -> No action taken.

Registry Data Items Detected: 1
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced|Start_ShowSearch (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> No action taken.

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 1
C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Roaming\ldr.ini (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.

(end)

I did not include the other log because there was a lot of personal data in it. It found 287 files though and almost all of them were cookies

I will remove all of them right now, run the TFC, reboot and post back results.

Edited by flyswatter888, 31 March 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#4 flyswatter888

flyswatter888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

Ok I deleted everything, then ran TFC and rebooted and it is still there. What else could I do?Untitled_zps93d44a2d.png

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

Were there any items shown in S.A.S. scan except for Tracking Cookies ?? This is important -

First -
Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.

* Please be patient if the program seems to stall as it is only gathering information.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Next -
Please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner
This is best performed with Internet Explorer as your browser.

You will need to disable your antivirus program (ESET will be your Antivirus during the scan) - Information on A/V control (temp disable) HERE if needed.
Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use
Click Start
Accept any security warnings from your browser.
Check - Scan archives
Click Start
ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this will take some time.
When the scan completes, click on List of found threats
Click on Export to text file , and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as "ESETScan". Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
NOTE. If ESET doesn't find any threats it will NOT produce any log.

Next -
Download AdWare Cleaner and install it
Close all open programs and browsers as the program will reboot your computer
NOTE: You may need to disable your Antivirus while this runs Information on A/V control (temp disable) HERE if needed
XP users Double click on the program to run it
Note: Vista and Windows users, Right click and select Run as Admin......
Select DELETE
Confirm each time with OK
Your computer will Reboot and a notepad text will show the results
Please post that back here

Last -
Junkware Removal Tooll by thisisu
Download Junkware Removal Tool
Disable your Antivirus program if required See above for directions.
Close all open programs and browsers so the tool can fully inspect your system.
For vista and windows 7 right click on the tool and select run as administrator

Your computer will not be rebooted after this scan, but it will produce a log.
After the scan is completed, post the generated log here.

Thank You -

EDITED to update links - If you have any of these programs installed, please remove and update them -

Edited by noknojon, 31 March 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

After these programs run, if the problems still exist please run sfc /scannow -
Go - Start > Programs > Accessories > Find Command Prompt and Right Click on it > select Run as Administrator >
Type sfc /scannow and press Enter - Note the space between c and / as it must be there.
This should only take about 15 minutes to run -

Check if you find a copy of rundll32.exe in the folder C:\windows\system32\dllcache or in C:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386. If this is the case, go ahead and copy rundll32.exe to the system folder C:\windows\system32

Download and run the Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool to suit your Operating System (32 or 64bit version)

Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool - 32 bit
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en

Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool - 64 bit
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=585D2BDE-367F-495E-94E7-6349F4EFFC74&displaylang=en

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users