Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq - Upgrading RAM... Will it help?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drdoom76

drdoom76

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

I'm running a single core Compaq CQ58 laptop. Only has one memory slot and can be upgraded to 8 G. Currently it's sitting at 2 G memory. The processor is reading as 1 Ghz, and i'm worried upgrading the memory might not do anything to help speed. Anyone have any ideas about this? Will it help? I mean.. I know it'll help.. But do you think it'll help 1% or 10%? Just curious before i go spending anymore money. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

Hi drdoom76

It depends on what particular speed you want to accomplish. But since its a laptop, only the hard drive (SSD) and maximum RAM sticks allowed are worth upgrading.

Edited by jhayz, 31 March 2013 - 01:15 AM.

Tekken

#3 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

I have noticed on my personal laptops that after I upgraded, my desktop widgets and open applications ran smoother. I don't really play games or any sort of media (more than a browser/ java game or pandora radio) the biggest thing I use RAM for is for Virtual drives. It is good for caching open apps, not nessesarly for making them faster. You can also increase your Windows paging files for a little speed.

the fact you say it has one memory slot, makes me wonder if you have the wrong specs though. These are the specs that I found. 1.7 ghz and 2 memory slots. Max cache of 8 GB (2 x 4 GB)

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/me/en/ho/WF06a/321957-321957-3329742-89318-89318-5259203.html?dnr=1?jumpid=in_r2515_me/en/hho/ipg/psc404redir-ot-xx-xx-/chev/

If you plan to upgrade to 8 GB, it has to me 2 x 4GB.

4GB would be 2 x 2 GB

Here is Crucial's

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/HP+-+Compaq-memory/Presario+CQ58+Series/Presario+CQ58-a10NR-upgrades.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users