Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair OS w/o CD

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 The Pookster

The Pookster

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

I have an iMac and it will not boot (I've tried every possible solution to it so far). I'm wondering, is there a way to remove the hard drive and attach it to my computer and scan it for bad files - like chkdsk in Windows?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kathy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

I have an iMac and it will not boot (I've tried every possible solution to it so far). I'm wondering, is there a way to remove the hard drive and attach it to my computer and scan it for bad files - like chkdsk in Windows?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kathy

Which version of the Mac OS are you running on the iMac?

Also, how old is the iMac?  Which model is it?

When you say you have tried every possible solution, what does that mean?  Have you tried booting into Safe Mode or Single User Mode?

If you are running either Lion (i.e. 10.7.x) or Mountain Lion (i.e. 10.8.x) have you tried booting to the Recovery partition?

When you asking about removing the hard drive to attach it to your computer, is your computer another Mac?  If so, what model of Mac is it?

#3 The Pookster

The Pookster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kathy

Which version of the Mac OS are you running on the iMac? I am running version X Snow Leopard

Also, how old is the iMac?  Which model is it? Power mac g4 I'm not sure how old it is....it was given to me by someone that didn't want it. I've had it about a year.

When you say you have tried every possible solution, what does that mean?  I've tried holding down the CTRL+R keys, the option key, the C key, and I think that's all ..... I tried so many combinations I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode or Single User Mode? I cannot boot into Safe Mode or Single User mode either

If you are running either Lion (i.e. 10.7.x) or Mountain Lion (i.e. 10.8.x) have you tried booting to the Recovery partition? I cannot access the recovery partition

When you asking about removing the hard drive to attach it to your computer, is your computer another Mac?  If so, what model of Mac is it? I dont' have another Mac to boot from, I was wondering if I could repair it from a Windows based PC.

Edited by The Pookster, 30 March 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

Nope, you cannot repair it from a Windows computer.

For Snow Leopard, there is no recovery partition.  That was introduced with Lion.

So, at this point, your options are:

1) Get your hands on a Mac OS install disc either from a friend or buy one.

2) Hook the Power Mac G4 up to another Mac by way for the Firewire port and boot into Firewire Target mode.  This will cause the Power Mac G4 to act like an external Firewire drive for the other Mac.  From there, you could try repairing the drive using Disk Utility or some third party utility such as DiskWarrior or TechTools Pro.

3) Try booting from a third party utilities (such as DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro) bootable optical disc.  If you don't have either utility, you will want to verify that the optical disc that they ship you is in fact bootable (I don't own DiskWarrior and it is has been a while since used my Tech Tool Pro disc so I don't recall if it is bootable).

4) I suppose you might be able to take it to an Apple Store.  You might have to pay to have them boot from an installer disc and either reinstall the OS or repair the OS...but they might let you borrow the disc while you sit there.

5) You could see if you could find a local computer shop/tech who deals with Macs.  This undoubtedly will require you to pay.

I honestly don't know if you can still get a Snow Leopard disc from the Apple Store or not.  You would need to try calling the Apple Store 800 number (800-MY-APPLE) as I seriously doubt they will have it available for purchase in a local Apple Store.  If you cannot, then your only option would be to buy it used through a site like eBay.

Edit: Removed the option about removing the hard drive.  I forgot/got confused as to which model it was...forgot it was an iMac when you called it a PowerMac G4.  If it is an iMac running a PowerPC processor, then it will be a major effort to remove the hard drive.  If it is an actual PowerMac G4 tower (i.e. NOT an iMac), then removing the hard drive is very easy.

Edited by smax013, 30 March 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

I supposed I should ask...have you made some sort of backup?  If so, what method did you use?

If do have a backup, then it is possible that the backup could be used to get you running again...depending on how you did the backup.

#6 The Pookster

The Pookster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

I didn't make a backup (sadly). But I do have a friend that has the Snow Leopard CD so I should be good to go. Thanks so much for the super fast responses.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

I didn't make a backup (sadly). But I do have a friend that has the Snow Leopard CD so I should be good to go. Thanks so much for the super fast responses.

If you can borrow the Snow Leopard optical disc, then the first thing to try would be to boot to it and then see if Disk Utility will repair the disk.

If that does not work, then you can try reinstalling Snow Leopard using the "upgrade" option.  I honestly don't know if that will work if the version of Snow Leopard on the disk is newer than one the install disc...it may not let you, which might mean you are forced to do a clean install.

#8 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Apple is still selling Snow Leopard discs for $19.99. Have you tried booting in to Safe Mode or running fsck from the Single User mode?

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

Have you tried booting in to Safe Mode or running fsck from the Single User mode?

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode or Single User Mode?

I cannot boot into Safe Mode or Single User mode either

FWIW, the original poster did respond to my asking of that, but it got buried in the quote of my post.

Edited by smax013, 30 March 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#10 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

Have you tried booting in to Safe Mode or running fsck from the Single User mode?

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode or Single User Mode?

I cannot boot into Safe Mode or Single User mode either
FWIW, the original poster did respond to my asking of that, but it got buried in the quote of my post.

Missed that. Sorry. 

Along with your tips I'd try resetting the NVRAM/PRAM.

#11 The Pookster

The Pookster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

I did find the copy fo the OS but the computer still won't boot. I tried doing a hard boot and holding down C to get it to boot from CD but no luck.  Any other suggestions? Or advice? I did pop open the case just to make sure everything was connected and there is one connector that is not plugged into anything. I snapped a quick picture of it with my camera and will upload it if you'd like.

Thanks for all the help.

I did reset the NVRAM/PRAM. And I am unable to boot into Single User Mode or Safe Mode. I just get the flashign question mark even with the OS CD in the drive.

Edited by The Pookster, 31 March 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#12 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

Try rebooting the Mac and then press the Option key instead of the C key. If it works you'll get a choice to boot up from the DVD.

Are you sure the disc is the one that came with your Mac? Grey OS X discs are machine specific, and won't work with any other Macs that are not the same model as yours.

Edited by Buddyme2, 31 March 2013 - 11:59 PM.

#13 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

I did find the copy fo the OS but the computer still won't boot. I tried doing a hard boot and holding down C to get it to boot from CD but no luck.  Any other suggestions? Or advice? I did pop open the case just to make sure everything was connected and there is one connector that is not plugged into anything. I snapped a quick picture of it with my camera and will upload it if you'd like.

Thanks for all the help.

I did reset the NVRAM/PRAM. And I am unable to boot into Single User Mode or Safe Mode. I just get the flashign question mark even with the OS CD in the drive.

Do you hear the optical drive "spin up"? In others words, is there some clear indication that the drive is actually reading the disc?

Also, is the Snow Leopard disc that you have a "retail" disc or is it one that came with your friend's computer? I ask because any install/restore disc that comes with a Mac will generally ONLY work with that specific model of Mac. Thus, if it is one that came with a Mac and your Mac is not the exact same model, it likely will not work.

#14 seedy21

seedy21

• Malware Response Team
  • 742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

To be on the safe side I would hold down ALT

This will show you all the boot-able options the machine can boot into.

“It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.”
― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

unite_blue.png

#15 The Pookster

The Pookster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

I am sorry for the delay in responding...I got busy and haven't  had time to work on the computer.

I do have the original factory disc for this computer. When I boot the computer holding the option key, I get a menu with two arrows, one is curcular and one is pointing to the right.

I have also attached an external CD rom hoping the problem was the CD drive but it is not.

Any suggestions/ideas are welcome. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users