Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Conflict with Norton Internet Security 2013 & Malwarebytes & Spybot

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tryn2learn

tryn2learn

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

Just a question and I think I already have part of it answered. 

I recently had problems with Norton Internet Security 2013 on my laptop.  I could not get an answer to why a problem was occurring that I had already removed and re-installed Norton 3 times.  (mind you the problem does not happen on my desktop machine at all).  So I went to Norton live chat and waited for over 1/2 hour to chat with someone.  That someone wanted permission to take control of my laptop and 'fix' the issue.  The error 8506, 421.

The tech support guy took over my computer and wiped out my Malwarebytes and Spybot and told me those were the problem and why Norton was conflicting with it causing me issues.  And that I should not be running Malwarebytes and Spybot.

I use the free version of both and they are demand scanning of the system.  Further I have the exactly the same set up on 3 other laptops and my monster machine desktop.  None of those have presented the issue I was having with my Dell laptop.  All systems running Win 7, either 32 bit or 64 and home edition or professional.

Can someone tell me if the Norton rep was giving me a line or if indeed this is causing an issue?  And why have I not seen it on any other of the machines I own or are family members.

(As writing this I did receive an email from Malwarebytes support who told me their software would not create any conflicts with Norton.  So what about Spybot?)

AND both Malwarebytes and Spybot have caught issues (nothing critical) that Norton has not.

Thank you in advance for any insight to this issue.

TryN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

Hi,

spy bot is not really that good a program now.....Spy bot Tea Timer is known to cause issues with Norton it was discussed in Community Forum...

As for MBAM well their an open "Hot" thread in Norton regarding why MBAM is listed as a program that causes conflict

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Warning-NIS-20-3-0-36-NOT-compatible-with-Malwarebytes/td-p/913779

I have used the trial of Norton AntiVirus and in those 15 days MBAM and Norton never had any issue although during installation i was prompted to remove it but I just skipped that step..

Norton and MBAM alongside are fine but Spybot well Its better not to use with Norton sorry but I can't  find the link to that post 

Edited by midou1994, 30 March 2013 - 08:56 AM.

Midou

#3 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

WOW, thanks so much for the rapid response and the link.  You have been extremely helpful!

Thank you!

TryN

#4 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

As a side note. I did not get a warning on any of the 5 machines I put Norton on that already had been running MBAM.

#5 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

Just found a complete run down on Spybot and the Norton community is saying that Super Antispyware is better and that you must go thru it and make sure that you are truly using as demand only and that services do not start on boot.

The other issue was that the warning with Norton and Malwarebytes is a new warning that just started.  I know I have run this stuff for years with no problems with Norton.

#6 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

For any further issue with Norton and the software installed on your PC i suggest you pay a visit to their forum before the tech support.......................

Their Tech support ain`t that great I remember how they asked my Friend to  run Norton Power Eraser and asked him to remove the file thus making his system crash 

both in safe mode and Normal Mode

Midou

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

Hi -
If you think the Malwarebytes program is any part of the problem, please open a new question in the  General Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Forum.
You will need to create a new account (just like here), and post the new question -

Spybot is generally regarded as a bit old these days, but there should not be a problem with Malwarebytes Free version.
The main forum Administrator at Malwarebytes forum (AdvancedSetup) runs both Norton Paid version and the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro version on one of his computers without any problems.

You may have other computer issues that they can help you with there -

Norton Forum will just pull all other security off your computer and then say all is OK, without checking further -

Thank You -

#8 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

Midou1994, Thanks for the suggestion, but I came here with the question as the Norton support forums are not that good and could not get a straight answer to my question from Norton.  I trust more of what I read here on Bleeping Computers than a commerical-for-profit company, where you are consistantly getting different information from the employees of that company.

Noknojon, Thank you for the info and if I have any further problems I will post over on the other forum.  Actually Malwarebytes has been excellent and has gotten back to me with answers that I needed.  Hooray for Malwarebytes!

Please consider this issue resolved. 

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

I have only added the MBAM forum as the issue seemed "program specific" with Malwarebytes -

We are always pleased to know if there was a final solution, so you can post back with the "basics" of the reply that you get at Malwarebytes Forum, even though I post there quite often myself and may see your topic -

Regards  :busy:

#10 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

Per your noknojon,  this was my response from MBAM.

Hello and welcome to the Malwarebytes consumer helpdesk. Thank you for choosing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as your malware security solution, my name is xxx xxxxxxxx and I'll be assisting you today.

As far as we know there are no conflicts with the latest versions of the software you have asked about which would prevent the software from operating as it should, save any minor configuration options.

We do the best that we can to assure our software will run with all other security software seamlessly, but there are occasions that this happens and when it does, we'll try to research and correct it.

Unless you actually experience a conflict of some type, no action is required.

If you're advised to uninstall Malwarebytes before installing another security software just reinstall afterwards.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hi -

Sounds like Tom @ the Helpdesk ?

If you still have a problem, try the link I left above for the general forum area and you may get another reply.

Do you want help to uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes fully, or are just leaving it as is for now ?

Thank You -

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

I'm not surprised that a major anti-virus vendor like Norton would recommend to remove other security products...that's one way to get rid of competition and make folks more dependent one their product.

In most cases folks can just ignore that type of warning. As the MBAM team advised you, "Unless you actually experience a conflict of some type, no action is required."
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Nokojon:  Thanks for the offer, but I already have it re-installed.  It's not that I don't know what I'm doing, it's the 'stories' being told by the Anti-virus companies.

Quietman7:  You are absolutely correct.

I did receive an email from Spybot stating that their software does NOT interfere or conflict with Norton.  But I have decided to go with demand use of Super Antispyware instead based on reading from this group.

Thank you all for your help.

TryN

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

Yes, IMO SuperAntispyware is more effective.

FYI: mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users